How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
- Responsible for operations of library in evening, including closing duties
- Supervise student workers in their daily duties and special projects
- Develop orientation and training materials for student workers
- Help with initial and ongoing training of student workers and ensuring completion of training exercises
- Student hiring process - provide Head of Circulation feedback on student applicants
- Provide feedback of student worker performance on a regular basis
- Liaise with Department of Public Safety, Building Services, and other units in the library building
- Provide good customer service to library patrons in person, over the phone, and via email
- Be knowledgeable of circulation policies and procedures
- Use the integrated library system to check out, renew, and return items, update patron records, and update item records
- Monitor study room reservation system
- Provide basic computer and printer troubleshooting for machines in the library
- Provide basic reference services after regular reference hours in evenings and on weekends
Technical Services Duties
- Create labels for new media and Browsing Collection items
- Process donated and gifted items
- Copy catalog new books
- Other projects as assigned
Stacks Maintenance Duties
- Oversee the Missing Item List and coordinate periodic searches for missing items
- Maintain the New Book Shelf by creating lists of books to send to Main Collection
- Oversee periodic book shifting in the stacks
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- One year or more library experience.
- Managerial or supervisory experience.
- College degree
The ideal candidate should be able to meet the following expections:
- Work well individually and in team setting
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Master job functions with minimum supervision
- Be able to lift at least 40 lbs.
- Flexibility in work schedule
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.