- Advise current and prospective graduate and undergraduate nursing students (online and face-to-face) on prerequisites, curriculum, general education, transfer credits, and other matters to fulfill SON and University requirements for master’s, doctorate, and baccalaureate degrees in nursing.
- Counsel and guide students in course selection and progression issues. Provide developmental counseling/advising to students who are unsuccessful or facing difficult life issues.
- Send periodic emails to students (individuals, cohorts, student groups) with clinical section assignments, registration details, reminders about deadlines, financial aid and other University deadlines and opportunities, scholarship/job opportunities, etc.
- Plan, coordinate, and attend nursing recruitment events and advise students.
- Clear individual students for registration.
- Complete graduation audits and prepare final graduation lists for the Office of the Registrar.
- Advise students regarding process for petitions to the Undergraduate or Graduate Academic Standards Committees and work with students related to petition decisions.
- Coordinate Admission Process for new RN to BSN program students.
- Run new admit lists by state.
- Follow-up with out-of-state students to ensure state authorization acceptable for RN to BSN admission.
- Review transcript accuracy and follow-up with Admissions as appropriate.
- Send personalized welcome emails including a proposed Plan of Study.
- Work with student to register, etc. Email, text, phone, and F2F appointments.
- Send reminder emails and texts to admitted students who have not yet registered.
- Maintain high school, hospital and community college relationships.
- Participate and engage in University and SON student success and retention initiatives.
- Guide and refer students to institutional resources.
- Update student email lists and color-coded cohort lists.
- Work with Registrar’s Office and AIMS to ensure online degree evaluations are accurate for SON programs through DegreeWorks or other applicable software.
- Assist Administrative Assistants with SON events as needed.
- Serve as member of Student Awards and Scholarships Committee.
- Provide administrative assistance to RN to BSN Faculty Committee.
- Assist Associate Director of RN to BSN Program to prepare agenda and meeting documents.
- Present and update faculty on pertinent program matters.
- Assign “at-risk” students to Faculty Mentors as needed.
- Reach-out to students referred by faculty as needed.
- Consolidate folders of all newly-admitted nursing students and pass on to the new Administrative Assistant to convert relevant documents for scanning to students’ electronic files.
- Participate in professional development opportunities.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- 1-2 years administrative experience required.
- 3- 5 years administrative experience preferred.
- Advising experience in an institution of higher education preferred.
- Strong oral and written communication skills required.
- Careful attention to detail required.
- Skilled user in Microsoft Office Suite programs.
- Must have three references.
- Preferred computer skills:
- Knowledge of social media platforms: Facebook, Twitter, Instgram
The University of Michigan conducts background on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in complicance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.