To assist physicians and nursing staff in the delivery of patient care while supporting operational functions in the Medical Procedures Center.
- Assists with patient admissions and discharge procedures. Obtains vital signs and records as indicated
- Assists with patients in preparing for procedures as needed
- Transfers patients to procedure rooms
- Properly positions patients and attaches monitoring equipment.
- Assists with procedures taking and documenting vital signs and time tracking.
- Assists with positioning and suctioning patients, splinting, and supporting the positions of the endoscopes
- Assists with biopsies during procedures.
- Assists with the transfer of patients to the recovery area
- Assists patients in preparing for discharge from Medical Procedures Center
- Assists physicians and RN’s with therapeutic and diagnostic endoscopic and related procedures
- Performs specific diagnostic tests or procedures which may include; venipuncture, standard medical laboratory tests according to policy and after completion of training and/or certification
- Acts as an advocate for the patient in their interactions with health care services
- Assists health care providers when requested
- Assists with the orientation of new staff to the Medical Procedures Center
Responsibility for Support Services
- Prepares procedure rooms with endoscopes and related equipment needed for procedures
- Assesses proper functioning of equipment by following manufacturer guidelines for testing prior to procedures
- Prepares specimen labels as necessary
- Assists with trouble shooting of endoscopic equipment during procedures
- Cleans and prepares procedure rooms and patient care areas
- Transfers soiled equipment and supplies to reprocessing area
- Reprocesses endoscopes and related supplies and equipment according to unit policy
- Identifies and documents equipment and supply needs
- Coordinates the flow of patients with all areas and staff.
- Administrative duties applicable to the Medical Procedures Center
- Participates with in-services and staff meetings
- Attends staff development programs
- Attends mandatory programs annually
- Participates in the development of a performance plan
- Prepares Medical Procedures Center chart forms as appropriate
- Receives and processes phone messages as indicated
- Maintains written records and charts according to unit policy
- Maintains a positive, objective, assertive approach in communication with staff patients and visitors
- Graduation from a Medical Assistant program or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- One year Medical Assistant experience
- Medical Assistant Certification
- Endoscopy unit experience
- SGNA Gastrointestinal Technical Specialist (GTS)
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.