How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should outline skills and experience that directly relate to the University of Michigan Police Department.
The hiring process will measure the following competencies:
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
Candidates will be required to submit a video presentation answering pre-screening questions through a third party vendor (no cost to applicant).
Review of applications will begin immediately and the position will remain open until a successful candidate is identified.
The University of Michigan Police Department is a professional, full-service law enforcement agency with responsibility to provide police services to all areas of our campus community. Our mission is to contribute to and promote a safe and secure community, while respecting the rights and dignity of all persons utilizing facilities and programs of the University of Michigan.
This position requires the candidate to successfully pass a thorough background investigation, drug screening, psychological evaluation, and physical examination. Absence of felony and/or misdemeanor convictions which would prohibit the applicant from receiving, possessing, and carrying a firearm is required. The position requires driving a university vehicle so the candidate must have a valid driver’s license and driving record of less than 6 points.
- Provide excellent customer service while serving and protecting the community
- Enforce University ordinances and regulations and State and Federal laws
- Using University owned vehicles, patrol campus areas for crime prevention, parking and traffic control and issue citations
- Obtain and serve warrants, subpoenas and other court documents
- Identify, apprehend and arrest suspects
- Investigate crimes, accidents and complaints and prepare reports
- Interview witnesses, crime victims and suspects
- Transport personnel and funds or other valuable property
- Testify in criminal, civil and administrative hearings
- Physical requirements as specified by MCOLES
- Bachelor's degree in criminal justice or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience (minimum Associate’s degree and 2 years’ of related experience) is necessary
- Strong communication skills
- Proven customer service and teamwork ability
- Completion of a State of Michigan accredited police academy training program or waiver of training required
- MCOLES licensed and certified
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a related field
- Some knowledge of State and Federal laws and University ordinances and regulations is needed
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the Police Officers Association of Michigan union, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.