How to Apply
A cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter must be PAGE 1 of your resume and should:
- Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position and
- Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Starting salaries will vary depending upon the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
The Information and Technology Services (ITS) Service Center has an exciting opportunity to employ a Service Center Consultant Associate to serve as an initial point of IT assistance. Working in a team environment as a member of the ITS Service Center, a customer-facing (tier-1) technology service and support group, our selected candidate will be responsible for the effective and efficient handling of requests by ensuring quick and responsible resolution of issues. Our selected candidate will practice Knowledge-Centered Service which includes using, updating and creating articles in the course of resolving incidents and fulfilling requests.
This Service Center Consultant Associate will report to the Service Center Supervisor responsible for production support operations. The production support team will be handling requests about the University computing environment, administrative systems, identities, authentication and access management from various customers including staff, students, faculty, alumni and guests across the University campus, as well as requests for services, including systems and service access.
Successful candidates will be required to have the ability to learn technical support knowledge effectively, experience with outstanding customer service skills and the ability to adapt to changes that may be ambiguous, as well as applying basic skills while developing some specialized skills in procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials and/or equipment appropriate to the area of specialization.
As a Service Center Consultant team member in the ITS Support Services organization within the University of Michigan, this position’s key responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Under general direction, provide support to end users on available IT services as well as recommend appropriate hardware, software, settings and learning resources. Advise customers on IT security policies and procedures, including the proper handling of sensitive data. May interact with network services, software systems engineering and applications development to restore service. Identify and correct core problems. Simulate or recreate user problems to resolve operating difficulties that may include desktop or browser configuration problems. Escalate complex problems to senior staff.
- Consult with customers on the 764-HELP hotline particularly in the following areas: ITS services and products; compute and network infrastructure; desktop and mobile-device support; collaboration services; enterprise applications support, including HR; financials; student and alumni records; research administration; identities; authentication; access management; applications and services supporting the Teaching and Learning missions at the University of Michigan.
- Provide high quality customer service and technical support via multiple channels, including phone, email, chat, in-person and IT management / workflow systems. Evaluate problems and determine priority of response. Research, isolate and troubleshoot technical instances. Provide resolutions, workarounds and problem escalation for tier-2 and tier-3 support teams to ensure that end-users successfully utilize the U-M Computing Environment and Administrative Systems. Educate the end-user community for access to supported systems utilizing internal service center tools to walk users through the systems. Provide end-users with information on how to access help documentation and e-Learning resources.
- Create and maintain documentation to support users and the Service Center team. Work with subject matter experts to document, research, review and update issues in the knowledge management systems. Support the development of end-user documentation by working with the performance support team, making content recommendations and assisting with the review of documentation.
- Conduct effective communications with co-workers, product teams and end-users with guidance from senior personnel.
- Support internal teams and projects. Identify end-user needs and communicate those needs to project teams. Participate in system testing and knowledge management activities.
While not limited to the following, in this role the successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate the following organizational competencies:
- CREATIVE PROBLEM SOLVING: Demonstrates the ability to prevent and solve simple problems, seeking help from others when required.
- QUALITY SERVICE: Demonstrates the ability to see issues from the customer's perspective, assesses the urgency of requests and responds accordingly.
- COMMUNICATION: Demonstrates the ability to communicate clearly, correctly, knowledgeably and effectively via email, letters and in person. Demonstrates the ability to communicate effectively to groups, varying style to fit the audience, actively communicating with those with differing opinions and differing levels of understanding.
- High school degree or equivalent combination of education, certification and experience.
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience on a technical support team, demonstrating exceptional customer service and problem solving skills.
- Proficient knowledge of operating systems (Windows, MacOS) and industry standard web browsers.
- Experience with email (POP, IMAP and Exchange) and communication software (Windows & Macintosh).
- Experience assisting clients in their utilization of computer and network hardware and software.
- Ability to communicate effectively via email, letters and in person to work teams and customers.
- Demonstrated experience using organizational skills and abilities to successfully multiple tasks within established procedures and changing deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute and collaborate effectively as a member of a highly functioning and productive team.
- Ability to learn and adapt to high level of technical knowledge and training.
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree
- Experience with Enterprise Administrative Systems (Oracle) support
- Experience with the Google G Suite for Education
- Experience with mobile support including configuration and troubleshooting (iPhone, iPad, Android)
- Responsible for protecting data and information from unauthorized release or from loss, alteration or unauthorized deletion; and, following applicable regulations and instructions regarding access to computerized files, release of data, etc. as stated in a computer access agreement.
- Punctual, regular and consistent attendance is required.
- May require on-call availability and will require working during non-business hours and on weekends.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The University of Michigan Information and Technology Services seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan Benefits Office is committed to offering a high-quality benefits package to support faculty, staff and their families. Learn more by visiting their website.
- The University of Michigan maintained its ranking as the top U.S. public university in the QS World University Rankings for 2018-19, and ranked 20th among all institutions on the list, which was released 06/13/2018.
- The University of Michigan maintains No. 15 in Times Higher Education World University Rankings released 05/30/2018.
- The University of Michigan continues to be recognized nationally in the U.S. News & World Report’s annual rankings of the nation's best graduate schools for 2019. Among the programs ranked each year in America’s Best Graduate Schools — business, education, engineering, law, medicine and nursing — U-M maintained top-20 rankings in all six categories.
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 4 on Kiplinger’s 2018 list of 100 Best Values in Public Colleges, moving up one spot from last year.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.