How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. In your cover letter, please indicate how you discovered this opportunity.
Reports to: Associate Director, Annual Giving
Supervises directly: n/a
As a member of the university Annual Giving Team, a department of the Office of University Development, the Assistant Director assists in the development, coordination, and implementation of the annual giving programs for the university. In this role, the Assistant Director serves as an expert consultant and liaison for assigned schools, colleges, and units. The university Annual Giving Team ensures that the Office of University Development and partnering schools, colleges, and units utilize the most efficient, creative, and effective annual giving strategies, and is a driving force to explore novel ideas that lead to the creation of new approaches and projects that engage donors and drive revenue.
This position works in an environment dedicated to advancing the mission of OUD and of the university, and in building positive and meaningful relationships with colleagues and constituents.
40% - Unit Consulting and Partnership
- Works with assigned units’ leadership and designees to plan and implement annual giving programs using all appropriate channels. Provides expert consultation to units in reviewing performance and planning future efforts.
- Assists in the development of plans for donor engagement, pipeline development and solicitation improvement. Works with assigned units to determine how each unit can best utilize the fiscal year solicitation plan to fit their individual fundraising needs. Identifies potential prospect groups and develops programs accordingly.
- Provides annual giving expertise, including regular, value-added analysis and program review. Monitors and evaluates unit program results, market research, and other data to identify new strategic opportunities.
- Provides general consulting and support as needed and appropriate (e.g. unit candidate interviews, expertise on topics related to annual giving, reporting workshops).
- Conducts tests and ad-hoc analyses of projects to further team knowledge of best practices.
15% - Annual Giving Strategic Planning and Department Mission
- Works as part of uAG team to design a yearly, overarching annual giving solicitation plan in conjunction with OUD and unit goals.
- Monitors and evaluates u-wide solicitation results, market research, and other data to identify new strategic opportunities.
- Actively promotes donor-centric approaches to annual giving that take a holistic view of university communications and solicitations. Seeks opportunities for unit/university collaboration and cooperation, while achieving strong results for client units.
- Works within department strategic plan to improve level of service, efficiency, program results, and unit coordination.
- Continually monitors department procedures and tools to look for opportunities to increase efficiency.
- Considering and applying methods for donor acknowledgement and education, participates in the ongoing stewardship of donors utilizing a donor centric approach.
15% - Reporting, Data Analysis, and Data Integrity
- Monitors reports and data files to ensure data integrity.
- Maintains working knowledge of the database, reports and tools available to units to ensure resources fit the demonstrated need on campus.
- Analyzes high level program results and continually monitor opportunities for improvement and/or testing to achieve best results.
- Manages the creation and maintenance of annual giving reports in partnership with various OUD teams.
- Identifies causes and solutions to data issues in conjunction with partner teams.
- Reviews, interprets, edits and shares communications regarding data initiatives and issues in conjunction with partner teams.
15% - Production Process
- Partners with Marketing, Production, Creative, and Telefund teams to plan, create, schedule, execute, and evaluate productive, high-quality, cost-effective annual fund solicitation projects for assigned units and university-wide initiatives.
- Provides needed input and information to Marketing and Creative teams for development of solicitation and stewardship creative; composes copy for multiple-unit and university-wide solicitations and communications as needed.
- Working closely with Production Team and unit designees, monitors production process to ensure deadlines are met and project goals are achieved.
- Ensures accuracy of data and creative content for project components through a multiphase proofing and review process.
10% - Industry Knowledge
- Proactively maintains knowledge of current trends in the Annual Giving field. This includes:
- Participating in peer networking opportunities.
- Participating in professional education opportunities.
- Monitoring of Annual Giving trade publications and websites.
- Helping draft and lead professional development activities and workshops for school, college & unit partners.
5% - Additional Duties
- Assists with training and orientation of new staff members.
- Responds to and routes donor inquiries and concerns as appropriate.
- Completes other projects and duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree
- Three or more years of work experience in a professional environment with increasing levels of personal responsibility
- Working knowledge of personal computers, word processing, spreadsheets, and database software
- Experience in a team environment and strong interpersonal skills
- Careful attention to detail
- Excellent communication and analytical skills
Work or volunteer experience in annual giving, fundraising, marketing, advertising, or relevant field
- Experience with direct mail, telemarketing, internet marketing, statistical analysis, strategic planning, market research, annual budget planning, project management, print production
- Experience writing successful annual giving solicitations
For additional information about this position and to review other current openings in Development, please visit our website at: www.giving.umich.edu/careers
Although the Posting End Date may indicate otherwise, this job may be filled and closed anytime after a posting duration of seven calendar days.
The Office of University Development maximizes private support for the University of Michigan through high-quality collaboration with the development programs of schools, colleges, and units. We also provide fundraising leadership through the stimulation and facilitation of healthy, productive and life-long relationships with our colleagues, alumni, friends, foundations and corporations.
The U-M development community is committed to attracting, developing and retaining a diverse and thriving workforce, and demonstrating respect and inclusivity for all.
Annual Giving Department Mission
The VISION of Annual Giving is to provide exceptional service and annual giving expertise to units across all three campuses and the health system and ensure that the university’s annual giving programs are executed creatively, efficiently, and in accordance with best practices.
Our MISSION is to maintain and build broad-based support for the University of Michigan by maximizing efficiency, coordination, and collaboration between the Office of University Development (OUD), regional campuses, and schools, colleges, and units (s/c/u) to ensure that annual giving programs at U-M are executed comprehensively, consistently, and in accordance with university standards.
Through its holistic view of university-wide initiatives and individual unit projects, the Annual Giving team works to advance the University of Michigan’s development goals by:
- Promoting donor-centric approaches, well-timed solicitation schedules, and data-driven program strategy and analysis to increase revenue generation and donor engagement
- Utilizing and encouraging annual giving best practices across solicitation platforms and channels through benchmarking and awareness of fundraising trends
- Empowering s/c/us to communicate and engage with alumni throughout the lifecycle of their relationship with U-M
- Promoting creativity, problem-solving skills, and innovation within the U-M annual giving community
- Providing support and expertise to s/c/us throughout planning and implementation of annual giving programs, from prospect engagement to solicitation and stewardship
- Sharing philanthropic messaging (from initiating touch points to communicating impact and encouraging ongoing support) with U-M alumni and friends every year
- Developing donor loyalty and building a foundation for future major donors
- Partnering with other teams in OUD to enhance the donor experience and internal customer service while promoting the importance and value of annual giving efforts
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.