The Customer Service Associate serves as a comprehensive initial point of contact in the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships. The position is required to provide accurate direction and guidance to students, their families and staff in all aspects of the financial aid process as well as registration process. This individual also identifies students who need to meet with a financial aid counselor or administrator to resolve more complex issues. The initial preparation this position provides reduces the number of students who must see a counselor and/or better prepares those who do for a more productive meeting. The Customer Service Associate possesses a comprehensive understanding of Title IV, state and institutional policies and procedures in order to accurately guide students through financial aid, scholarship and loan application processes. They must also have a thorough understanding of the Admissions and Orientation, Records and Registration and Student Success as they relate to the financial aid processes, registration process and other services that facilitate student success. This individual is responsible for analyzing and determining the accuracy and completeness of all incoming information, including, but not limited to federal tax forms, verification worksheets, DHS documentation, orphan or ward of the court documentation, selective service confirmation, as well as other documents. This individual must be able to work flexibly with diverse constituencies and possess the ability to manage multiple competing priorities, while providing outstanding customer service. They must also have excellent command of all relevant technology.
- Provides information on eligibility requirements, application processes and procedures, status of financial aid application/awards and required additional documentation.
- Determines if the student’s inquiry requires further follow-up and directs the inquiry to the appropriate source for resolution as necessary.
- Advises on registration and records, some student account policies, procedures, academic policies as well as campus systems to prospective families, current students and other visitors to the campus.
- Analyzes all incoming documentation for accuracy and assigns appropriate code and status in Banner
- Responsible for the scanning, quality assurance and linking of documents via ImageNow. This must be completed within 24 hours of receiving the document.
- Assist Veteran students with required documents in order to have benefits
- Manages offices processes such as ask-ofa, office inventory, Americorps, letter generation, Collection of enrollment verifications for the Return of TitleIV Funds as assigned by the Associate Director
- Coordinate the development and maintenance of office policies and procedures related to all job function that are in compliance with current state, donor and federal guidelines and/or regulations. Monitor adherence to these policies and procedures. Make recommendations for changes, adjustments, or improvements as necessary.
- Coordinate with the Associate Director of client service to maintain and manage office work-flow both while working at the enrollment service counter and the office of financial aid and scholarships.
- Collects, verifies and prepares information and statistical data reports, inquiries and other purposes as requested as well as data used for strategic planning purposes.
- Advise students, parents and others on financial aid policies and procedures; assist students in making responsible financial decisions.
- Serve as a liaison with department, schools and/or colleges as needed.
- Serve on divisional and/or university committees as assigned.
- Represent the office at professional conferences, workshops and symposiums as appropriate and participate in professional development activities and encourage the same of your staff.
- Assist the Management Team (Program manager, System Analyst, Associate and/or Director) as needed and perform other related duties as assigned.
- An Associate’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Minimum of 1 year of relevant experience in financial aid, registration and records, or student accounts services within higher education is required.
- Minimum 1 year of demonstrated customer service experience, required.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to assess student situations and make decisions related to student problems with minimal consultation from managers or directors required.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, with an emphasis on Word, Excel, and email required.
- Ability to handle confidential records with the required caution and professionalism; adherence to FERPA.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, required.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, meet deadlines, be flexible and adaptable in a rapidly changing environment and work well under pressure in a high stress environment required.
- Ability and desire to provide excellent customer service to current and prospective students, and the college community is required
- Ability to work effectively with others and in teams is required.
- Must be personable, energetic, and be customer service oriented.
- Ability to maintain a professional office environment is required.
- Demonstrated experience with Ellucian’s Banner or other student information system is desired.
- Understanding of the commitment of the UM-Dearborn mission and the mission of EMSL desired.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.