How to Apply
Interested candidates must apply through the UM Jobs website (umjobs.org/). A cover letter, not to exceed two pages, is required and must answer the following questions:
- Based on your understanding of LSA Advancement, please explain why you are applying for this position.
- How many years experience do you have writing copy for marketing purposes? Briefly describe your most significant role(s) and accomplishments.
- What is it about working as a writer that you find most rewarding?
- Why is this position a logical next step in your career progression?
Our award-winning marketing team seeks an experienced, motivated, innovative, and highly creative Marketing Copywriter. The Marketing Copywriter will play a key role within our marketing team, creating compelling and engaging content for brand, website, print, inbound, and outbound marketing projects. Portfolio samples required for consideration.
- Develop persuasive, engaging, and creative short- and long-form copy—in collaboration with project leads, communications team, graphic designers, project managers, clients, and others—for multiple media including print, digital, and social.
- Research specific opportunities, products, events, and/or services being marketed; identify key marketing goals, objectives, strategies, and primary audiences; determine which communication vehicles will be used; and establish style, tone, voice, and length of copy needed.
- Liaise with creative team on art direction to ensure that words and images (or video or audio) complement one another to convey a clear message or tell an engaging story.
- Craft, edit, and revise copy as needed to ensure content is creative, attention-grabbing, effective, and that it meets client approval.
- Ensure all copy communicates a consistent, engaging, audience-focused voice across all products and properties; make sure content is appropriate as well as factually and grammatically accurate.
- Work closely and collaboratively with the communications team to stay aligned with key messaging, with the voice of the college, and the LSA editorial style guide. Write all content consistent with strategic messages, brand guidelines, product/service positioning, and editorial style; contribute to style guide as needed.
- Use feedback, performance analysis, and observed trends/best practices to guide and improve creative work.
- Bachelor's degree in English, creative writing, communications, marketing, or related field and five or more years of copywriting experience for both print and digital assets, preferably within a marketing environment.
- A portfolio of creative work that demonstrates the skills you possess and the range of work you are capable of producing.
- The ability to write a wide range of short- and long-form content using contextual parameters defined by project leads, such as audience, length, medium, and desired outcome. You should be just as adept at creating clever headlines as you are writing longer copy to support it.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with ability to motivate, influence, educate, and inspire readers and teammates.
- The ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously while delivering high quality results, often on tight deadlines.
- A clear understanding of tone and the ability to adapt your writing style based on brand standards and style guidelines, audience, and marketing strategy.
- Proven versatility in writing for different audiences including faculty, staff, current students, prospective students, alumni, and donors.
- An understanding of the importance of creative briefs and marketing strategy, and the ability to use them to create powerful work.
- The ability to approach assignments from a customer-centric perspective while also understanding higher-level business and marketing objectives.
- Excellent research skills and capacity to simplify complicated topics into copy that anyone can understand.
- Impeccable attention to detail, particularly regarding punctuation, grammar, and proofing skills. Should be able to identify and fix copy errors within your own work and/or the work of others.
- The ability to positively translate feedback—whether received from clients or from performance analysis—into improved work.
- An ability to think strategically and holistically about individual projects and how they fit into the college’s mission.
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to give and receive direction, engage others in an authentic, open, and positive manner, and interact productively during brainstorming sessions.
- Demonstrated commitment to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Demonstrated experience in communications technology tools including but not limited to MS Word, Google applications, and social media platforms.
- Experience in full-scale content strategy and multichannel marketing.
- Awareness of user experience and the role copy plays in delivering a good one.
- Experience with web analytics, marketing measurement tools, and digital content management systems. Direct experience with Adobe Experience Manager (AEM) a plus.
- Familiarity with SEO guidelines/best practices and the ability to leverage that knowledge in your writing.
- Experience working within a project management system; knowledge of Wrike a plus.
- Fluency with The Chicago Manual of Style.
- Passion for the University of Michigan and the liberal arts.
- Experience in a higher education, philanthropic, institutional advancement, or marketing-related setting.
The College of Literature, Science, and the Arts seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitments to serve the diverse people of Michigan, fulfill the College’s Guiding Principles, and sustain the excellence of LSA.
To learn more about diversity, equity, and inclusion visit http://lsa.umich.edu/lsa/about/diversity--equity-and-inclusion.html
To learn more about LSA’s Guiding Principles visit http://lsa.umich.edu/lsa/faculty-staff/human-resources/lsa-staff-guiding-principles.html
Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future. The University of Michigan is committed to foster learning, creativity and productivity, and to support the vigorous exchange of ideas and information, not only in the classroom but in the workplace by:
- Creating a work environment in which people treat each other with respect and dignity, regardless of roles, responsibilities or differences.
- Providing support, direction and resources enabling us to accomplish the responsibilities of our jobs and to reach the goals that are set for professional and personal growth.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.