Department of Pathology is seeking a full time Specimen Processor, the preferred candidate will perform the assigned duties in Specimen Processing in order to assure accurate and timely receipt, order entry, transport, processing, and distribution of laboratory specimens. Provide excellent customer service to internal and external customers. pecimen Processor, the preferred candidate will perform the assigned duties in Specimen Processing in order to assure accurate and timely receipt, order entry, transport, processing, and distribution of laboratory specimens. Provide excellent customer service to internal and external customers.
Specimen Processing and Handling:
- Transport (pickup specimens from all inpatient units).
- Spidering – Transport specimens to UMHS laboratories and internal storage of specimens.
- Receiving – Scan in barcoded specimens, reconcile problems and distribute.
- Specimen Handling – Receive, sort and distribute specimens to work benches.
- Centrifuge & Storage – Receive specimens in centrifuge for processing, centrifuge, aliquoting and storage. Prepare Sendouts for reference labs. Document all problems. Scan all Sendout paperwork.
- Urine Processing – Receive urine specimens, order entry, weigh, pour/aliquot and pass or store. Document all problems.
- Pneumatic Tube Receipt – Receive form tube port open, distribute, deliver and reconcile problems.
Computer Data Entry:
- Enter laboratory test orders into the computer system.
- Order Entry – Place test orders from patient requisition, label and distribute.
- Scan – Scan all required requisitions and attachments for patient orders.
Process Mi-Chart Orders:
- Receive lookup and print MI-chart test labels and label specimens.
- Receive manage and process Add-test requests for Outpatient and Inpatients.
- Receive and reconcile Mi-Chart unreleased orders and problem orders.
- Provide total customer focus to meet the needs of every customer, internal and external, including medical staff, laboratory staff, MLABS clients, patients, and families.
- Reconcile incoming problems for all patient locations. Complete all required documentation.
- Quality Assurance of all order entry performed by Specimen Processing – as assigned to staff person.
- Comply with safety instructions and observe safe work practices.
- Practice all BSP standards as specified for our unit.
Communication and Teamwork:
- Use effective communication including written, verbal, and information technology skills. Work effectively with other to accomplish goals.
Mandatories, Continuing Education, Competencies and Training:
- Complete yearly departmental mandatories as required.
- Attend departmental, assigned and/or requested continuing education training, classes, etc.
- Complete yearly competencies as assigned.
- Comply with ongoing training.
- Additional assignments as assigned by supervision or manager.
- A high school diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Ability to walk 3-5 miles, climb and descend 6 flights of stairs, lift up to 10 lbs, and bend at approximately a 45 degree angle multiple times within an eight-hour shift required.
Ability to perform repetitive motion and be familiar with the pneumatic tube system desired.
This part time, 20 hour Specimen Processor position is on the afternoon shift.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.