How to Apply
A one page cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. Resumes should be no longer than 2 pages (front and back). The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Education & Training
Are you motivated and skilled in enabling the learning of others? Do you want to work in an environment that is dedicated to providing learning and growth opportunities to over 30,000 faculty and staff? If so, we invite you to consider being part of Education and Training. As a division within Health Information & Technology Services (HITS), Education and Training is responsible for services and technology that support education and research programs in the Medical School, as well as supporting on-going learning in all hospitals and clinics within Michigan Medicine. These services are administered through the design and delivery (classroom and electronic) of professional development training, end user documentation, and support for applications such as the Epic electronic health record and mandatory eLearning education. Education and Training also supports foundational systems, such as the institutional learning management system (MLearning), along with other tools that support the medical education degree-granting programs and continuing education.
This Training Specialist role specifically involves delivering instructor led training as well as at the elbow and phone support to end users for IT systems and services. This position will also assist instructional designers with curriculum development. Examples of projects include Epic (electronic health record), call center software, ServiceNow (IT service management system) and related processes/workflows.
- Facilitate instructor led training sessions on various IT applications using provided scripted materials.
- Train & Support learners on assigned applications and organizational workflows related to their appropriate role in a variety of settings.
- Support end users during go-lives, labs, personalization sessions, advanced and efficiency trainings, as well as through assigned help desk tickets.
- Master the assigned applications and workflows relevant to your training area(s).
- Manage classroom rosters, attendance, exams, completion and competencies within the Learning Management System.
- Assist in the testing of training materials and training environment making suggestions as appropriate.
- Assist with creation and updates of training materials as appropriate.
Other duties as required.
This position reports to the Training & Support Manager.
Intermediate Position Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree or better in a healthcare related field, information systems, education, human resources/organizational development or an equivalent amount of relevant professional experience.
- Two to three years of relevant professional experience.
- Adaptable to technology and technology changes.
- Able to effectively deliver scripted training material to groups of varying sizes for four hours or longer and the willingness to adapt to challenging training situations and personalities.
- Ability to build rapport, engage adult learners and establish an enjoyable learning environment.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal and effective communication skills.
- Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- 3-5 years of experience in facilitating classroom learning experiences.
- One year of healthcare training or operational experience.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Experience creating training materials for end users with direction.
- Familiarity with using an LMS to track training.
Skill and experience in adult education. Strong training and presentation skills. Solid writing and editing skills. Strong technical aptitude. Excellent time-management and organizational skills, including the ability to meet tight fixed deadlines. Flexibility. Strong work ethic and reliability.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.