Provide complex clerical and patient support services in Psychiatric Emergency Services. Perform a wide range of activities including greeting, arriving and registering patients, and initiating appropriate paperwork and managing very busy clinic/crisis phone lines.
- Greet PES patients and their guests.
- Arrive and register patients in MiChart.
- Notify staff in clinical room of patient arrival.
- Fax/scan necessary paperwork as well as distribute incoming faxes to clinical staff immediately.
- Transport patient files to the staff room.
- Answer busy clinic/crisis phone lines;
- Notify staff in staff room of phone calls.
- Collect and record data in FilemakerPro (departmental database) on a daily basis.
- Manage inventory for brochures, office and kitchen supplies on regular basis, receive and restock supplies and brochures.
- Update staffing board and call in additional staff as requested.
- May need to assist clinical team to quickly run errands to the medical emergency room and/or blood labs to deliver patient samples.
- Submit work orders.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school graduate.
- Proven excellence in customer service and demonstrated ability to work well under pressure
- Successful candidate will exhibit professional and positive image when interacting with patients, faculty, and staff.
- Ability to accurately handle multiple responsibilities in a fast- paced environment.
- The ability to accurately receive and relay information over the telephone and through written documentation.
- The ability to accept direction from multiple sources, prioritize tasks and remain adaptable to rapid changes in work and inventory supplies.
- Knowledge of general office practices.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Candidate must be an active team player but also be able to work independently as needed.
- Ability to respond quickly and responsibly to resolve potential crises that may occur.
- Strong organization, problem-solving and prioritization skills are required.
- Demonstrated record of excellent attendance.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communucate effectively.
- Demonstrated active listening, written, verbal, and information technology skills.
- Experience working in a large, complex health care setting.
- Proficient in FilemakerPro and MiChart
- Knowledge of university policies & procedures.
PES is a 24 x7 department. Initial training would be on days but permanent shift may include afternoons, nights and weekends and holidays. Flexibility to cover other shifts when needed.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Under Michigan law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of transfer or employment for this position.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.