How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
NOTE: This is a two-year term limited appointment with the possibility of extension pending funding, availability of work, and satisfactory job performance.
The University of Michigan School of Information (UMSI) is seeking an enthusiastic and self-motivated Software Developer Intermediate to play a role in the development and launch of technical services for a proposed new University of Michigan online degree in Applied Data Science. The Master of Applied Data Science degree program provides project-based education for learners from a broad range of backgrounds including the sciences, social sciences, or professional schools.
This is an exciting opportunity to assist a team as they build next-generation data science educational environments, including customized solutions built on top of Jupyter, Docker, Kubernetes, Python, and more.
- Implement and deploy scalable novel learning experiences on top of current data science technologies, such as Jupyter notebooks, Docker containers, and Kubernetes
- Collaborate closely with software developers, user experience designers, learning experience designers, faculty, researchers, third party vendors, and students in service of the degree platform
- Identify features and bugs in the degree platform, working with others to fulfill requirements within project timelines
- Setup and manage quality assurance (QA) guidelines and software frameworks (e.g. continuous integration) to support software developed within the larger degree team
- Employ a pragmatic approach by understanding the tradeoffs between a perfect solution and a working solution
- Work closely within a team to solve problems, transfer knowledge, and develop software architecture and designs
- Bachelor's degree in a related field, or equivalent combination of education, certification, and experience
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in a related role requiring confidentiality, timeliness, customer service, organization, prioritization, troubleshooting, and working independently to successfully install, configure, develop, maintain, and support professional software
- Experience working with Python and an associated web application framework (e.g. Flask, Django)
- Ability to take design specifications and create working, valid HTML and CSS
- Experience working with relational database platforms (e.g. MySQL, PostgreSQL, MariaDB, Oracle)
- Familiarity with using Git and GitHub to develop open source software.
- Hold strong attention to detail and concern for information accuracy
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to work well in both self-directed and collaborative environments
- Masters degree in a related field
- An interest in and understanding of the field of data science, machine learning, or applied statistics
- Understanding of and experience with software quality methods (e.g. test driven development, continuous integration)
Will require travel to multiple locations on & off campus.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.