How to Apply
To apply for this position, please include a copy of your resume & a cover letter (this should be the first page of your resume) -- click the Apply Now button above.
Salary will be commensurate with the qualifications, experience, and education of the selected candidate.
Come join a team of passionate and hard-working individuals at a non-profit serving Michigan’s public universities, colleges, K-12 organizations, libraries, state government, healthcare and other Michigan non-profit organizations! This position will be an integral part of the Michigan Cyber Range team.
We are seeking a candidate to be an active participant in current development of the Michigan Cyber Range and its associated research and education projects. As a member of Merit’s team, the candidate will help plan and execute cyber warfare exercises as part of the Michigan Cyber Range’s education and training mission.
In addition, the candidate will also coordinate activities with other groups in and outside of Merit. The candidate will conduct a variety of programming tasks including program design, program coding, debugging, and documentation for software/systems and applications programs. Assignments are generally of a challenging technical nature.
To learn more about Merit, please visit our website: https://www.merit.edu
Essential functions for this position are followed by an (E).
Approximately 80% of the Developer’s time and duties are needed to:
- Orchestrate and maintain class lab guides and lab virtual machines (E)
- Provide creative content in the development of scenarios with storyline and attack/defense methods (E)
- Assist in exercise development and execution, software development to harden code, user experience testing, and engagement during cyber range events (E)
- Conduct a variety of complex programming tasks including program design, program coding, debugging and documentation for software/systems and application programs (E)
- Construct and network virtual machines in a laboratory environment (E)
- Creates applications, tools, integrations, and educational content that enhance Merit’s cyber security service offerings as well as to increase operational efficiency within Merit (E)
- Designing, building, testing and documenting various cyber centric and management applications and supporting back-end systems (E)
Approximately 20% of the Developer’s time and duties are needed to:
- Assisting Cyber Range users to connect and operate courses and exercises
- Keeping current of cutting edge security issues and techniques
- Providing technical vision and design for range usage
- Participate in research activities for various ongoing projects, including the development of novel ideas and techniques
- Work with University faculty, other faculty, Merit management and staff to identify promising areas of cyber security technology and applications
- Teach classes, seminars and lectures to Merit staff and others on emerging cyber security technologies, techniques and applications
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Expert experience in computer and network security, especially penetration testing and security evaluation, demonstrated through involvement in security conferences, exercises and events, especially any presentations, awards, or published papers
- Minimum four (4) years of experience applying two or more security domains from the ISC2 CISSP domains
- Minimum five (5) years of experience with systems analysis and programming activities in a business environment
- Proven ability to deliver production-ready software on time and on budget
- Knowledge of shell scripting, linux system utilities, network and application protocols
- Minimum two (2) years of experience in effectively communicating complex technical concepts and information to a wide range of individuals
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate well with technical people both in and outside of Merit
- Dedication to learning and advancing your skills
- Ability to troubleshoot software and communications malfunctions
- Demonstrated skills in project planning and implementation
- Ability to work within a team setting
- Master’s degree in computer science or a related field
- Ability to think outside the box
- Personal desire to explore and grow technical skills
- Experience in working in a fast-paced research and development environment
- Minimum two (2) years using VMWare products: ESXi, vCloud, vCenter, Horizon, etc.
- Experience with Kali Linux and various hacking tools
- Knowledge of networking fundamentals
Merit Network offers excellent benefits and wellness opportunities. This position receives 24 days of vacation per year, paid sick leave with provisions for extended benefits, opportunities for professional development, and retirement options with 2-for-1 matching that include TIAA-CREF and Fidelity Investments. Please visit https://hr.umich.edu/benefits-wellness for full benefits information.
This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Please note this job description is not designated to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee (with or without accommodations) to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Move items weighing up to 50 pounds from the floor to tabletop height without assistance of another employee.
- Position self in various areas (including areas beneath furniture or close to the floor) in order to connect computer cables.
- Move items weighing at least 100 pounds, including tables, podiums, and computer cases.
Employee must frequently work at computer station, answer telephone calls, emails, and/or other forms of customer/client communication. Employee may on occasion be required to move items of various sizes and weights throughout the office or building. Employee will occasionally be required to setup various technology equipment.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position, work schedule will be determined by manager and may change if necessary. There may be some occasional work required outside of the established schedule, which may include weekends and holidays. The typical work schedule is Monday thru Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
Occasional travel is required.
The University of Michigan/Merit Network Inc. conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
- If you have any questions regarding this job, please contact: email@example.com
- If you need assistance completing this application, please call (734) 615-2000, option 1
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.