How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position, your salary requirements, and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
ABOUT THE STEPHEN M. ROSS SCHOOL OF BUSINESS
The Stephen M. Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan is a diverse learning community grounded in the principle that business can be an extraordinary vehicle for positive change in today's dynamic global economy. The Ross School of Business mission is to develop leaders who make a positive difference in the world. Through thought and action, members of the Ross community drive change and innovation that improves business and society.
Ross is consistently ranked among the world's leading business schools. Academic degree programs include the BBA, MBA, Part-time MBA (Evening and Weekend formats), Executive MBA, Global MBA, Master of Accounting, Master of Supply Chain Management, Master of Management, and PhD. In addition, the school delivers open-enrollment and custom executive education programs targeting general management, leadership development, and strategic human resource management.
About Ross Information Technology
Ross Information Technology provides the Michigan Ross community with a comprehensive suite of technologies, web-based business solutions, and support to help our shared instructional, research, administrative and service missions. We partner to deliver innovative solutions.
The Sr. Salesforce Technical Lead will provide leadership and technical expertise to our Salesforce platform development and implementation efforts. Working closely with the Salesforce project manager, functional leaders, organizational units, and unit Salesforce Administrators, this position will drive technological change in alignment with the project’s and the School’s overall CRM strategy and vision. This position will be responsible for overall Salesforce workflow / process design and creation - both initial IT-developed Salesforce workflows / processes and unit-developed workflows / processes, working collaboratively with unit Administrators to develop their workflows while ensuring that a unit’s specific workflow / process / data development is grounded in best practices and doesn’t adversely impact the overall platform or data. This position will also help shape the School’s CRM strategy, providing vision, creative leadership, and technical understanding to governance and stakeholder strategy discussions. This position will report to the Director of Application Services.
Contributes to our positive and inclusive work community by building trusting partnerships across the school, continually learning, creating impactful experiences, and working with a sense of ownership for outcomes. Approaches this work with a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in mind; treating others with respect, dignity, and in a manner where individuals feel they belong; listens, values feedback, and learns from the perspectives of others.
- As the Ross Salesforce technical lead, partners with IT and business stakeholders to understand unit requirements and develop workflows / processes that improve unit / organizational performance while maintaining and integrating with the Ross enterprise Salesforce platform. Presents process / workflow recommendations to key parties. Ensures existing data/information assets are identified, documented, stewarded, and leveraged across the organization.
- Serves as senior subject matter expert and Lead Salesforce Administrator for Ross. Works with Ross departmental Salesforce Administrators and IT staff to ensure consistent, standardized processes and data. Works with Ross IT Salesforce Developers to create Salesforce process automations including those with Process Builder, visual workflow and approval tools, formulas, validation and/or summary roll-up fields as appropriate.
- Performs QA as needed on data and processes before and after deployment to ensure the highest quality data in our systems. Researches new data sources for new and better data feeds.
- Develops data models and designs extensions of the base data architectures of Ross systems (Ross Salesforce and Ross Oracle databases). Supports ongoing data integrations between Ross systems and external data sources such as Peoplesoft/UM data warehouses, CollegeNET, DART, as well as one-time data integrations with existing CRMs such as ACT!, Nutshell, and spreadsheets to onboard units at Ross, ensuring consistency and integration with existing data structures.
- Works with stakeholders and teams to determine and set overall strategy and future direction for the Salesforce platform, and evaluates / recommends specific platform enhancements.
- Works with departments to gather, prepare, analyze and interpret data, and help create reports and dashboards for decision-makers.
- Works with project manager, administrators, and developers to coordinate the evaluation, scope and completion of new Salesforce and/or Tableau dashboard development requests
- Makes strategic recommendations based on data analysis and insights incorporating business requirements. Streamline reporting, improve office processes, and adapt existing systems to new requirements.
Participates in the governance meetings for the Ross Salesforce deployment. Works with other campus units to manage shared software resources. Participates in relevant campus CoPs, and helps make decisions related to the University’s implementation of CRM systems as a whole.
Training and Development
Participates in classes, workshops, and online training for skill building and self-development.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Science or related field and minimum 5-8 years experience, or equivalent combination of education and related experience required
- Experience with multiple Salesforce integration projects, including Marketing Cloud / Studios and Communities
- Demonstrated success implementing Salesforce best practices and functionality
- Extensive experience using Salesforce with third party data tools (dataloader.io, Excel Connector, DemandTools, Eclipse Force.com IDE)
- Experience working with Visualforce and Apex classes and triggers
- Ability to assess the impact of new releases of Salesforce on all upstream and downstream applications, systems and processes
- Experience with relational databases and data management abilities
- Strong attention to detail and excellent problem solving skills and mental flexibility.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, handle and prioritize simultaneous requests, and manage laterally and upwards
- Strong communication and data presentation skills, including an ability to effectively communicate to all levels of the organization, and articulate complex requirements with both business and technical teams.
- Ability to mentor team members on Salesforce architecture, best practices, and related technology.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Science or related field
- 8+ years of experience using Salesforce in Higher Ed environment
- Strong business analysis experience, including requirements gathering, and creating/deploying solutions to end users
- Experience with Salesforce HEDA data model.
- Salesforce Administrator (ADM 201) and Advanced Administrator (ADM211) certifications preferred
Skills testing is not required.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
- Requires the ability to travel to various locations to conduct work and deliver materials
- The person in this position routinely presents information at events
- The person in this position occasionally moves through the facility to attend meetings/events and access files or information
- Domestic and/or international travel may be required
- May require work during early mornings, nights, and/or weekends
- May require on-call hours
Michigan Ross values a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are committed to the development of diverse and culturally intelligent staff who thrive and contribute to a positive and inclusive environment.
The statements included in this description are intended to reflect the general nature and level of work assigned to this classification and should not be interpreted as all-inclusive.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.