The Department of Pathology, Division of Pathology Informatics is seeking an applications programmer/software developer to support highly sophisticated clinical web applications integral to the day-to-day operations of the Clinical Laboratories, Pathologists, and Lab Administration staff. These applications are developed and maintained by a formal Applications Development team housed within the Pathology Informatics Division and include over 30 clinically based and departmental applications. Examples of high impact applications developed by this team requiring maintenance, support, and updates include: 1) A specimen tracking application to ensure positive patient identification and routing of patient specimens (blood, tissue, slides, etc.) between the Clinical Laboratories at the University of Michigan NCRC campus the University Hospital Main campus; 2) the Michigan Medicine Clinical Laboratories Lab Handbook and Test Catalog, used by both clinicians and patients to research lab test offerings; 3) Customized patient billing applications; 4) Customized web-tools for maintaining the Pathology Enterprise Master Patient Index (EMPI); 5) Ambulatory clinic phlebotomy (blood draw) kiosk support; and 5) Customized computational pathology patient assay pipelines that deliver clinically actionable patient results.
The individual in this job role will support the analysis, design, implementation, validation, and maintenance of the Department of Pathology clinical web applications and their infrastructure to meet our end user requirements. Prospective candidates should be self-motivated, comfortable approaching complex problems, and have solid team work skills.
The core skills required to help develop and maintain a complex business solutions architecture in support of the infrastructure and clinical applications within a diverse healthcare IT environment include:
- Application service provider (SaaS) model
- Web services and microservices-based architecture
- Use of Docker, Jenkins, Git, and Kuberneties
- Familiarity with Postgres, MySQL, Oracle, and MS SQL query language
- Familiarity with ReactJS, NodeJS
- Ability to work with vendor supplied applications and images to in-house built containerized services (Docker) and the VMware product suite
- Create, maintain and update internally and externally built clinical web applications in addition to associated websites and mobile apps
- Knowledge of hardware, software and programming products associated with the delivery of interactive technologies.
- Maintain effective working relationships with internal personnel and external business partners
- Conduct and coordinate the analysis, design and implementation of computer and web-based solutions to meet both clinical and user requirements
- Participate in system software development and maintenance, as required
- Conduct detailed analysis of defined systems specifications and develop all levels of flow charts and documentation
- Conduct a full range of programming and software development tasks including program design, coding, debugging and documentation
- Provide support for existing clinical applications maintained by the application development team
- Work to develop error detection/correction of existing code
- Proven organizational skills
- Ability to build productive working relationships with individuals, both internal and external, and to work well within a team environment
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, as well as to present oneself in a credible and professional manner
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, projects and activities; setting priorities and maintaining deadlines
- Demonstrates respect, trust and integrity in all operational and interpersonal transactions
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field and/or 3-5 years systems/software programming experience
- Familiarity with the concepts of a Software Defined Networking and virtual private datacenters
- Familiarity working in a large complex healthcare environment
- Familiarity with current Pathology/Clinical Laboratory infrastructure and analytics
- Experience with VMware’s product suite, vCloud Director preferred
- Working knowledge of Source Control (git) and the various tooling surrounding it (gitlab, github etc)
- Experience with Docker and container orchestration
- Comfortable working with both Windows (Windows Server 2008+) and Linux (Ubuntu)
- Experience working with bash, Powershell desired
- Familiar with the concepts of configuration management systems, experience with SaltStack, Python, or the jinja templating language preferred
- Database experience with PostgreSQL
- Database experience with MySQL, SQLServer, or Oracle a plus
- Familiar with ELKStack (Elasticsearch, Logstash, Kibana) or other central log systems (familiarity with Jenkins a plus)
- Experience managing staff including job performance expectations and performance reviews
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.