The Digital Communications Specialist will be responsible for assisting with strategic initiatives that engage, connect and inspire the University of Michigan School of Public Health (UMSPH) and its community. This position will work as a member of the creative team to create multi-media communications content, and in close partnership with the web administrator to maintain the school’s digital properties.
The Marketing and Communication team at UMSPH prioritizes collaboration and communication in order to achieve the highest levels of both efficiency and effectiveness. This position will play a pivotal role in creating multimedia content and providing website management to meet school-wide objectives. This role reports to the Director of Marketing and Creative.
Website Management 50%
- In partnership with the Web Administrator, update, troubleshoot, and manage content on primary UMSPH web platforms.
- Monitor web ticket system and, in partnership with the web administrator, resolve issues and requests.
- Partner with the Marketing and Communications team to create diverse and strategic content for the SPH web platforms and determines appropriate format and location.
- Partner with the Content Strategist to optimize and re-purpose the content featured in Findings for the digital audience.
- Advise and support use of external website tools (e.g., Wordpress, Exposure, Spark), and assist users with technical issues.
- Serve as the primary marketing representative in working with departments research centers, and other UMSPH-related entities on their websites and pages.
- Advocate for best practices in information architecture design, online content development, and web design.
- Provide technical assistance and training to UMSPH web content managers.
- Serve as resource for research centers that are hosting their website externally for finding external vendors to provide them with support.
- Capture and report on website metrics with a regular cadence, and employ this data for informed decision making.
- Develop and manage roadmap for feature and design updates on both the external website and the UMSPH intranet, and provide tactical implementation plans.
Multimedia Content Creation 50%
- Create multimedia graphics for school-wide marketing initiatives. (Example projects include: invitations, event marketing materials, brochures and social graphics)
- Develop new website design elements to enhance content presentation.
- Provide writing, proofing, and editing assistance as needed.
- Submit videos for captioning via AST captioning service.
- Assist with media clip management and distribution.
- Manage email segmentation lists and the distribution for alumni, donor and departmental communication through constant contact.
- Assist with digital newsletter development.
- In partnership with marketing communications coordinator, support digital asset management system use and maintenance.
- Develop and manage content on environmental digital displays.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 3-5 years of previous work experience preferably in a marketing and communications, role. Minimum of 3 years of experience working on websites, including evaluation of success, in a professional setting.
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills; specifically in spelling, grammar, punctuation and proofreading.
- Proficiency with industry-standard design concepts and software.
- Experience in creating design projects for distribution across multiple communications platforms.
- Excellent customer service, negotiation and problem solving skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities and meet challenging and changing deadlines
- Display good judgment while operating in a flexible and professional manner.
- Demonstrated ability to develop good relationships with an array of personalities.
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member.
- Ability to use discretion when dealing with highly sensitive information.
- Expertise in Google Applications, Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, and web content management systems.
- Familiarity with research regarding information architecture, user experience design and website best practices.
- Proficient in HTML. While this position is not required to write code, it will be essential to have a deep understanding of the technical framework that underpins a website, including databases and scripting languages, as well as CSS.
Michigan Public Health is seeking an experienced and dynamic staff leader/member with a commitment to contributing to a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment for all members of our community.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.