Why work for Michigan Medicine?
You will play an integral role within our institution, and are important to delivering the highest quality service to patients and their loved ones. We are eager to assist you in becoming a well-rounded employee and individual, and to help you advance in your career. We will provide you with a positive work/life balance, while also allowing you with the opportunity to improve and develop your career. Don’t hesitate – join our fun and creative team today, and help us provide remarkable assistance to our patients.
What perks and benefits can you look forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage
- 2:1 Match on retirement savings
- State of the art technology
- 75% Tuition Reimbursement
- Generous Paid Time Off (PTO) and Paid Holidays
- Growth opportunities to higher seniority positions
- Management that provides quality training and direction
Our Medical Assistants provide clinical assistance by taking vital signs, preparing specimens, assisting patients, as well as some general office support services. In Rheumatology you will assist with various procedures, such as arthrocentesis and wound care. You will also execute various tasks while working directly with physicians and nurses:
- Stock/sterilize rooms.
- Refill prescriptions.
- You will provide patients with appropriate educational/preparation information for procedures.
- Print laboratory reports for patient visits.
- Update notes and medications within MiChart.
- You will obtain insurance authorizations.
- Conduct chronic pain management tasks per protocol (MAPS report, generating drug screening lab requisitions).
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Graduation from a Medical Assistant program.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology.
- Moderate standing/walking, as well as, lifting, positioning, pushing and/or transferring patients.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work well within a team setting.
- Communicates effectively.
- Demonstrates active listening, written, verbal and information technology skills.
- 1 - 3 years of experience
- 0-1 years of experience
- Previous experience in an Ambulatory Care clinical setting and Rheumatology clinic and/or practice.
- Familiar with UMHS electronic medical records system (MiChart).
- Knowledge of University and Department of Internal Medicine policies and procedures.
- Ability to work in a dynamic customer friendly environment.
- Basic understanding of medical terminology.
- Works well with minimal supervision.
This is a full-time, 40 hours/week position with a Monday – Friday, 9:30am – 6:00pm schedule. On occasion the hours may vary and overtime is a requirement. This position is located within Internal Medicine, Area A in the Taubman Center.
Based on qualifications and department need, this position can be filled as a Medical Assistant or Medical Assistant Associate.
Ability to pass customer service quiz and typing skill assessment with 35-40 WPM and with an accuracy of 95% or greater. May be required to cross cover other areas.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.