How to Apply
To be considered, a cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter must be the leading page of your resume and should:
- Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position and
- Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Starting salaries will vary depending upon the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
The Information and Technology Services (ITS), Teaching and Learning team is seeking a highly self-motivated and enthusiastic Application Developer Intermediate to join our software development team. The Teaching and Learning team supports the Learning Management System (Canvas) and Media Streaming and Content System (MiVideo) and develops software applications to support teaching and learning activities at scale.
Reporting to the Application Developer Manager, our selected candidate will have the opportunity to build next-generation learning analytics and academic advisory tools, including data-driven dashboards for self-regulated learning by using technologies such as Python, Angular, Docker, OpenShift, Google Cloud Services and more.
As part of an agile, high-performance team with expanding responsibilities, our selected candidate will work in a collaborative and dynamic environment to deliver education technology solutions. Qualified candidates must be able to demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills. This role requires an individual who can work under minimal supervision, proactively anticipate and resolve problems with the passion to meet or exceed customer expectations.
The key responsibilities of an Application Developer Intermediate with the Teaching and Learning team include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Design, implement and deploy learning analytics tools used for student self-regulatory learning, academic advising and other purposes
- Collaborate with faculty, students and academic advisors to solicit requirements and gather feedback; work with user interface designers, business analysts and other software developers to translate requirements into software solutions
- Conduct analysis of complex data processing applications
- Provide production support, troubleshoot and deliver solutions to application and integration problems
- Develop learning standards with the IMS Global Learning Consortium such as LTI and Caliper
- Support the refinement of service operations for more efficient processes and procedures by identifying when established procedures are not working well resulting in process gaps
- Look for opportunities to automate and create efficiencies in production support and make recommendations for improvements
- Learn new techniques of software development, DevOps, data analysis and relevant advances in cloud technologies which can include on-the-job training, attending technical courses or conferences, reading, research and testing
- Identify areas of service improvements and potential future enhancements based on customer requests and feedback
While not limited to the following, in this role our successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate the following organizational competencies:
- Demonstrates the ability to effectively solve complex problems, using analysis, creative thinking and input from others to improve processes, solve complex problems and develop effective strategies
- Demonstrates the ability to communicate clearly, correctly, knowledgeably and effectively via email, letters and in person to teams and customers
- Demonstrates the ability to communicate about complex topics effectively to groups, using visual aids as needed, varying style to fit the audience
- Demonstrates initiative in participating in growth opportunities for continuous development and improvement
- Demonstrates the ability to apply new skills and knowledge to the job and provides training and mentoring opportunities to others
- Challenges self and others to critically evaluate strengths and weaknesses
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or a related field or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
- A minimum of two (2) years demonstrated professional software development experience
- Demonstrated programming skills with Python, Java, Ruby or Node.js
- Demonstrated programming experience with web application frameworks such as Django, Spring or Rails
- Ability to take a design specification and create a working prototype with valid HTML5/CSS
- Experience with a relational database platforms such as Oracle, MySQL, or PostgresSQL
- Experience with Git and GitHub
- Strong problem solving and communication skills
- Ability to work in both self-directed and collaborative environments
- Experience of Google Cloud and/or AWS cloud technologies for big data analytics
- Data science and machine learning skills
- Knowledge and/or experience of continuous integration and continuous deployment
This position may work with and/or support systems that maintain or process sensitive institutional data as defined by university policy. Successful candidates must comply with federal, state and local law and/or university policies or agreements that require the university to implement specific privacy and security safeguards including, but not limited to: ITAR, EAR, HIPAA and FISMA. Responsible for protecting data and information from unauthorized release or from loss, alteration or unauthorized deletion; and, following applicable regulations and instructions regarding access to computerized files, release of data, etc. as stated in a computer access agreement.
Work Schedules and Locations
- May require on-call availability and may require working during non-business hours and on weekends
- Punctual, regular and consistent attendance is required
- May require travel to various location on and off university campus
- Candidate must regularly move throughout the office and building environment and must frequently operate a computer to complete work
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The University of Michigan Information and Technology Services seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan Benefits Office is committed to offering a high-quality benefits package to support faculty, staff and their families. Learn more by visiting the website!
- The University of Michigan maintained its ranking as the top U.S. public university in the QS World University Rankings for 2018-19, and ranked 20th among all institutions on the list, which was released 06/13/2018.
- The University of Michigan maintains No. 15 in Times Higher Education World University Rankings released 05/30/2018.
- The University of Michigan continues to be recognized nationally in the U.S. News & World Report’s annual rankings of the nation's best graduate schools for 2019. Among the programs ranked each year in America’s Best Graduate Schools — business, education, engineering, law, medicine and nursing — U-M maintained top-20 rankings in all six categories.
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 4 on Kiplinger’s 2018 list of 100 Best Values in Public Colleges, moving up one spot from last year.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.