How to Apply
Candidates should submit the following as one document:
1. Letter of interest.
3. One page statement that discusses/shares a recent experience; what was learned from this experience, and what you did with what you learned.
In order for the Career Portal system to accept a cover letter and one page statement, please include these as a page of your resume document.
The School of Social Work is currently accepting applications for the Executive Assistant to the Dean position. The position will perform highly responsible, sensitive and confidential secretarial and administrative duties, requiring independent judgment and planning and will coordinate the effective scheduling of the time of the Dean of the School of Social Work.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Represent the dean's office with professionalism and courtesy;
- Maintain the dean's calendar with accuracy and responsiveness. Exercise discretion and judgment in managing appointments and the dean's time. Prepare background materials for the dean's appointments. Be responsive and courteous to those seeking to meet with the dean. Make travel arrangements and other meeting arrangements for the dean;
- Review incoming mail and email; sort as to importance and priority; obtain and add background material to facilitate action; check dates of requested future commitments; draft communications and answers or refer to others for response and maintain appropriate follow ups; coordinate daily errands of mail to be hand-delivered to other units; sort, screen and distribute Dean’s correspondence directing matters to appropriate persons for action or follow-up;
- Maintain Dean's office timetable of School faculty and staff meetings and deadlines; schedule appointments and coordinate meetings; prepare meeting agendas and minutes and follow-up on action taken; coordinate the scheduling of Dean's conference room;
- Develop and maintain systematic follow-up records and systems to insure that deadlines are met and information or material required from other offices is received on a timely basis;
- Initiate written correspondence requiring interpretation of policies and procedures; edit speeches, reports or manuscripts for organization, structure and style; collect and tabulate data for reports, records or manuscripts; extract information from books, journals, reports or other resource documents; coordinate the preparation of annual reports to accrediting bodies; coordinate periodic accreditation activities;
- Answer phones, respond to inquiries or complaints from faculty, staff, students and the public requiring interpretation of established policies and procedures;
- Receive and reconcile expense reports and M-Pathways PCard statements;
- Coordinate and administer conference preparation and hosting activities for various School activities and Dean's meetings; assist the Dean in planning and arranging for visitors; coordinate travel arrangements for the Dean, insuring that all necessary files, materials and supplies are prepared and itinerary is developed;
- Provide high-level support to faculty recruitment activities, including ensuring EEOC-compliance in faculty-developed job announcements, strategic advertising, and processing appointments and appointment activity reports for institutional equity;
- Staff Faculty Search Committee, Executive Committee as needed and Governing Faculty meetings and record minutes and schedule adhoc meetings of these groups;
- Coordinate annual faculty retreat;
- Assist Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs with Regents communications and tenure/promotion processes;
- Serve as administrative support staff for the Associate Director of Strategic Initiatives;
- Exercise discretion and confidentiality in all dean's office matters;
- Act as functional supervisor as needed for other Dean's office staff and work effectively as a team member.
A Bachelor's degree in an appropriate discipline or an equivalent combination of education and experience is preferred. Excellent oral and written communications and demonstrated editing and writing experience. Extensive knowledge and experience with database software, project management tools, presentation software and other technology. Ability to be well-organized, thoughtful, collegial, independent, and team-oriented as well as the ability to multi-task and have "big picture" perspective.
In order to receive full consideration for your application, please submit your bid within the first seven calendar days of this posting. UM job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days and the SSW may start the review/selection process as early as the eighth day after posting. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.