How to Apply
To be considered, a cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter must be the leading page of your resume and should:
- Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position and
- Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Starting salaries will vary depending upon the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
**NOTE: This a term-limited position ending after three (3) years with the intent to re-evaluate for possible extension.
This position will be filled at the Intermediate salary range of $56,538 - $73,500 as the primary goal. The requirements listed below reflect the Intermediate level expectation. However, applicants with lesser experience are encouraged to apply and may be considered if the primary goal is not met. Lesser-experienced candidates will be reviewed at an Associate level salary range of $47,476 - $59,000.
Do you enjoy building software-defined environments to support research? Are you interested in ways to be involved in the groundbreaking research taking place at the University of Michigan? If your answers are yes, then the Advanced Research Computing – Technology Services (ARC-TS) team has an opportunity for your consideration!
Our selected candidate will be responsible for building, operating and supporting secure enclaves for sensitive data research in the Precision Health Initiative at the University of Michigan and will also integrate existing institutional Windows and Linux support resources into automated recipes for secure enclaves.
Reporting to the HPC Operating Systems Programming Manager, our selected candidate will serve as a technical resource as part of a team that will create and operate our private cloud infrastructure. This individual will have the ability to act on specific project initiatives and provide expertise, guidance and strong collaboration to various team members. This role requires a dynamic individual to meet the changing requirements for building and supporting new and innovative systems to meet the initiative’s needs.
To learn more about Information and Technology Services (ITS), visit our website.
User Support (40%)
- Support user access to the Yottabyte Research Cloud Service
- Troubleshoot user issues with Yottabyte Research Cloud Virtual Desktops and Servers
- Support user requests for resources for external providers (outside campus services, cloud providers, etc.)
- Creation and maintenance of user-facing documentation
Assist with deployment and development of Precision Health IT resources (40%)
- Provision new Research Virtual Desktops and Virtual Servers for Precision Health researchers
- Work with Research Cloud Solution Designer Intermediate and others on the deployment of new Research IT Services for the Precision Health Initiative researchers, both on Yottabyte Research Cloud and also external providers
- Maintain inventory of resources used by Precision Health researchers
- Creation and maintenance of admin and user-facing documentation
Work within ARC-TS to improve the research computing environment on campus (15%)
Development of Self (5%)
- Stay abreast of application technology trends in storage infrastructure and environments (computers, accelerators, system management methods, etc.) which can include on-the-job training, attending technical courses or conferences, reading, researching and testing
While not limited to the following, in this role our successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate the following organizational competencies:
Advancing the Mission
- Demonstrates knowledge of the primary mission of the University and Michigan Medicine
- Demonstrates awareness of the diversity of constituency groups and their roles, purposes and issues
Creative Problem Solving / Strategic Thinking
- Demonstrates the ability to provide the necessary attention to solve different level problems, often multitasking to solve moderate level problems
- Defines problems, analyzes causes, identifies possible solutions, selects the best solution and develops action plans
- Generates new ideas and goes beyond the status quo
- Demonstrates the ability to use creative thinking to improve processes and solve complex problems
Development of Self and Others
- Demonstrates initiative in participating in growth opportunities for continuous development and improvement
- Demonstrates the ability to apply new skills and knowledge to the job and serves as a training resource to lesser-experienced staff
- Demonstrates the ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with internal and external customers in a manner that consistently meets the organization’s expectations for exemplary customer service
- Demonstrates the ability to see issues from the customer’s perspective assesses urgency of requests and responds accordingly
- Demonstrates a focus on fulfilling expectations by seeking insight into customer needs and developing solutions that provide value for the customer
- A Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience in a related role requiring confidentiality, timeliness, customer service, organization, prioritization, troubleshooting, analysis, problem solving and the ability to work independently
- Understanding of Windows Desktop and Server deployments, including VDI, Windows SCCM, Creating and Maintaining Group Policy Objects, Working with Active Directory objects in a shared environment
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated experience in creatively improving workflows and processes, using analytic and troubleshooting skills
- Ability to:
- manage priorities in face of multiple requests and projects
- self-direct as well as participate in a larger distributed support structure
- Willingness to work in a multi-OS environment including Linux, Windows and potentially others
- Familiarity with:
- Ceph Filesystem or other software defined storage
- Azure or AWS APIs
- Power Shell
- configuring and troubleshooting machine connections to Active Directory
- OpenStack, CloudStack, VMWare, Yottabyte Center or other private cloud offerings
- Advanced degree in an engineering or science-related field
- Understanding of:
- Cloud-Init and common design patterns for deploying applications in a cloud environment
- Software defined networking (SDN)
- Docker containers and their use
- restricted data such as HIPAA and CUI
- Experience providing IT support in an academic environment
Our selected candidate must be able to remain stationary for a normal period of time, routinely move throughout an office environment with the ability to conduct a normal amount of work at a computer
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The University of Michigan Information and Technology Services seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan Benefits Office is committed to offering a high-quality benefits package to support faculty, staff and their families.
- The University of Michigan maintained its ranking as the top U.S. public university in the QS World University Rankings for 2018-19, and ranked 20th among all institutions on the list, which was released 06/13/2018.
- The University of Michigan maintains No. 15 in Times Higher Education World University Rankings released 05/30/2018.
- The University of Michigan continues to be recognized nationally in the U.S. News & World Report’s annual rankings of the nation's best graduate schools for 2019. Among the programs ranked each year in America’s Best Graduate Schools — business, education, engineering, law, medicine and nursing — U-M maintained top-20 rankings in all six categories.
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 4 on Kiplinger’s 2018 list of 100 Best Values in Public Colleges, moving up one spot from last year.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.