Assist in the delivery of direct patient care, supporting providers in a complex, multiple physicians’ practice in an adult Urology ambulatory care setting. Cooperatively manage patient flow, perform routine laboratory support services; perform and assist in urological procedures; maintain equipment; order and stock supplies; maintain orderly clinic environment; provide direct patient care as assigned by the Registered Nurse/and or Provider. Use electronic medical record (EMR), MiChart, to complete patient intake, enter point of care orders, enter point of care results, etc.
- Perform patient intake including taking patient vitals and recording the following in our electronic medical record: chief complaint, vitals, patient history: including medical, surgical, family, social (specifically including smoking history, packs per day, etc.) menses status (when applicable), medication reconciliation, allergies, and entry of point of care testing orders as assigned
- Enter point of care testing results into MiChart
- Set up and assist in urological procedures i.e. Cystoscopies, Prostate Biopsies, Penile dopplers, etc.
- Perform urological procedures i.e. Cystometrograms, Leak Point Pressure, Uroflow, Pressure Flows, Bladder Scanning, Urinalysis, Bladder Irrigation
- Maintain, order, and assemble equipment as necessary
- Order clinic equipment and supplies, including medications
- Maintain stock levels in treatment rooms and exam rooms
- Prepare and prep patients for procedures
- Escort patients
- Instruct patients on procedures per written guidelines
- Provide clinic assistance by taking vital signs, drawing blood, preparing specimens and assisting patients
- Perform high level disinfection of urologic equipment according to infection control standards
- Maintain Urology Lab
- Other duties as assigned
Functional supervision received from Medical Assistant Senior, MA Supervisor.
Administrative management received from ACU Administrative Manager.
- We do require that you have a High school diploma or GED
- You are required to have either graduated from a Medical Assistant program OR have an equivalent combination of education and 1-3 years of experience
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work within a team setting is needed for success in this role
- You must be able to demonstrate active listening, written, verbal and information technology skills
- A knowledge of basic medical terminology is necessary
- You will be required to do some moderate standing and walking, as well as lift, position, push, and/or transfer patients.
- Certification as an MA
- Additional formal education in a health care field
Based on qualifications and department need, this position can be filled as a Medical Assistant or Medical Assistant Associate.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.