How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
To operate, service, and maintain direct expansion and steam absorption air conditioning and refrigeration equipment; operate, service, and maintain associated heat transfer systems including chilled water pumps; piping and coils; cooling towers and condenser water pumps and piping; air handling units; pneumatic, electrical, DDC and electronic control systems; valves, instrumentation and auxiliary equipment.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Analyze and maintain air conditioning, refrigeration, and chiller plants including: control systems; pump distribution; chillers; cooling towers; condenser water systems; water treatment; refrigerant flow devices; control systems; fan systems, and terminal equipment.
- Operate, service, and maintain chillers, cooling towers, chilled water and condenser water pumping systems, and control and instrumentation systems.
- Service, install, and maintain refrigeration equipment including reach-in and walk-in coolers; air driers; self contained rooftop units; ice machines; ultra low temperature freezers; and other refrigeration equipment.
- Establish system performance operating parameters and test to assure system performance parameters are being met.
- Read, interpret and generate sequence of operation for HVAC equipment and systems. Read and utilize DDC programming code.
- Perform test and balance work.
- Maintain and adjust fluids including, oils, refrigerants, and absorption chiller solutions. Service and maintain air conditioning, refrigeration, and chiller plant systems including:disassemble units for repair; perform major overhauls of absorption and centrifugal chillers; service pumps, strainers and filters; test and rebuild vacuum pumps, damper motors, water and refrigerant coils; conduct eddy current testing; and other components in air conditioning, refrigeration and ventilation distribution systems.
- Read and interpret diagrams, sketches, and job specifications related to air conditioning and refrigeration systems, and apply information from technical literature such as manufacturer’s equipment documentation and building operation and maintenance documentation.
- Maintain and use records such as equipment logs as required to document system and work performance.
- Maintain chemical levels for chilled and condenser water treatment systems. Operate air distribution systems within buildings.
- Utilize refrigeration cycles and the proper use of various refrigerants.
- Balance and treat chilled and condenser water systems, sequence chiller operations, clean tube bundles, manage chiller fluids and purge chiller.
- Fill out log sheets relating to chemical treatment activities and take oil and refrigerant samples, and test for acidity and moisture content.
- Drain and fill chilled water, hot water, and condenser water systems. Be aware of and follow regulatory requirements.
- Check and verify accuracy of thermometers and pressure gauges.
- Clean cooling tower sumps, chiller water, condenser and evaporator coils; repair cooling tower water distribution headers and apply condenser water lay-up treatment.
- Fill out refrigerant compliance forms, system log sheets, water treatment logs, and other necessary departmental paperwork.
- Service and maintain thermostats, VAV boxes, TEC’s, lab ventilation equipment, and fan coil units.
- Respond to HVAC complaints and provide customer service.
- Supervision is received from a designated official.
- No supervisory responsibility.
- Graduation from high school is necessary.
- Reasonable knowledge of the tools, equipment, methods and materials involved in the operation, service and maintenance of air conditioning, refrigeration and chiller plant systems is necessary.
- Possession of appropriate EPA certification is necessary.
- Experience maintaining and repairing industrial kitchen refrigeration equipment is necessary.
- Specialized training in chiller system operation.
- Advanced Centrifugal Chiller knowledge.
- Heat recovery system repair/maintenance Absorber Chiller knowledge.
- Hot water reheat systems repair/maintenance Split system repair/maintenance.
- Split system repair/maintenance.
- Advanced troubleshooting abilities.
- Ability to exercise tact and discretion in relationships with others.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints and specifications.
- Ability to perform the essential functions of the classification in areas that can be located at high elevations; behind or beneath obstacles; in confined spaces; subject to high heat; underground; in walls or floors; and inside or outside buildings.
- Reasonable computer-use ability including data entry, on-line research, use of the internet, email, and document manipulation.
- Reasonable knowledge of a Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS).
- Knowledge of Google cloud-technology products (or equivalent), smart phone technology, tablet technology, and computers.
- At least two years of experience in a hospitality industry working in an athletic, hotel or convention facility environment.
- Successful experience working in a team environment.
- Must be able to establish and maintain positive working relationships with all team members and customers.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to effectively prioritize and manage changing demands.
- Experience maintaining state-of-the art facilities and grounds, and keeping them in pristine condition.
- Ability to work nights, evenings, weekends, and overtime.
- Ability to effectively and persuasively communicate with many varied audiences: Coaches, staff, student-athletes, customers, vendors, fans, etc.
Tuesday through Saturday, 7:00 am – 3:30 pm, subject to change based on Athletics Department business needs. Some night and weekend shifts will be required.
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the U-M Skilled Trades Union, Inc., which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.