The Clinical Nursing Director will plan and manage the clinical and administrative operations of the 36 bed Cardiothoracic unit. The unit is home to adult cardiac and thoracic surgery patients and is a telemetry monitored unit.
Assure implementation of patient care and quality assurance standards; and to plan, organize and evaluate clinical practice and educational activities. Participate in planning, development and implementation of unit policies, goals and objective and standard of nursing practice. Counsel and evaluate the performance and clinical practice of the nursing staff. This includes staff develop programs, unit orientation to ensure compliance with practice standards. Identify and resolve unit operational problems. Represent the unit on assigned clinical area and Hospital committees. Maintain compliance with Federal and State regulations regarding affirmative action, safety and patient care. Actively collaborate in the development of annual budgets; manage and provide variance reporting of activity, payroll, commodity, & capital budgets; participate in the new program development & implementation; work closely with the MPLAN partner/ Medical Director to create and support an environment where cutting-edge and innovative care is provided to a continually growing number of Cardiothoracic patients. Provide administrative/management leadership personnel management.
- Develop and implement unit goals and objectives which include the establishment of standards of practice in patient care consisted with national professional and regulatory guidelines.
- Integrate unit goals and objectives with Nursing Service goals and objectives. Advise and assist with the establishment of priorities and institutional program development.
- Work closely with medical staff and other disciplines for the successful implementation of patient, unit and institutional objectives. Assist in the resolution of interdisciplinary operating problems.
- Supervise operations of the unit. Establish minimum/maximum staffing patterns to insure quality patient care. Initiate and implement a staffing schedule which is consistent with care requirements and responds to varying patient activity and patient mix.
- Identify and recommend specific staffing needs and position qualifications consistent with the respective unit objectives and patient case mix.
- Interview and select qualified personnel.
- Evaluate performance of nursing staff responsible to patient care unit. Make recommendations for merit awards and personnel classification changes. Counsel and discipline nursing staff to enable achievement of unit and institutional objectives, particularly as related to high quality patient care.
- Interpret and implement University and hospital personnel policies and programs and ensure their uniform and correct application.
- Project and monitor personnel budget for patient care unit. Provide information regarding budget variances to Clinical Directors.
- Collaborate and coordinate with other disciplines to plan, evaluate, and implement the commodity budget for the patient care unit.
- Initiate and implement inservice guidelines for unit level orientation and staff development. Encourage and provide opportunities for continuing education of the nursing staff.
- Initiate, plan, analyze, and participate in Nursing staff development programs and workshops.
- Participate in concurrent and retrospective evaluation of patient care consistent with the hospital quality assurance program. Through this review process, evaluate and recommend changes and improvements in areas affecting the quality of patient care.
- Establish guidelines with the nursing faculty, which support the institutional goal of providing the primary clinical environment for nursing students. Facilitate, coordinate, and monitor the clinical experience of nursing and other students.
- Initiate and cooperate in the applied research in health care in keeping with the institutional objectives of maintaining prominence in developing new modes of clinical practice.
- Formulate professional goals and prepare written evaluation for clinician director
Reporting Relationship: The 4C Clinical Nursing Director reports to the CV/Neuro Subsegment Associate Chief Nursing Officer.
Nursing Specific Info
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with nursing opportunities please contact Nurse Recruitment at (734) 936-5183.
- Current licensure as a Registered Nurse in the state of Michigan.
- Required educational requirement:
- Master’s degree in Nursing or Health Care Administration, Public Health, Business or related field (a Juris Doctor degree may be considered)
- If Master’s degree is not in Nursing, a Bachelor’s degree in Nursing is required
- Minimum of five years of Nursing experience with demonstration of progressive clinical competence
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills including personnel management and the ability to perform as a role model for nursing staff
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate in a manner that fosters teambuilding and to provide visionary direction for team members
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with administrators, physicians, peers, and subordinates.
- Experience with change management process required
Note: Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
- Expertise in Cardiothoracic Nursing
- Interest based problem solving and negotiations
- Familiar with the continuous quality improvement process is desirable
Hours: 40 hours/week
Shift: Requires flexibility to unit needs
Location: University Hospital - 4C Cardiothoracic unit
We, the staff and faculty of the U-M Cardiovascular Center (CVC) team, are committed to advancing medicine and serving humanity through living and teaching our core values of Respect and Compassion; Collaboration; Innovation; and Commitment to Excellence.
Each CVC employee is expected to understand and demonstrate that in every interaction we represent our entire organization in the care we provide and in the courtesies we extend to patients, families, and each respective team member. The CVC is dedicated to partnering with patients and families to deliver the safest and highest quality of health care. Applicants are expected to review the following PowerPoint presentation which provides an overview of the Cardiovascular Centers philosophy and culture:
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
Michigan Medicine seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan and to maintain the excellence of the University. We welcome applications from anyone who would bring additional dimensions to the University’s research, teaching, and clinical mission, including women, members of minority groups, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. The Department of Nursing, like the University of Michigan as a whole, is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all persons and will not discriminate against any individual because of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status.