The University of Michigan’s Institute for Social Research seeks a Marketing Coordinator. The selected candidate will work with the ISR Communications team to promote the value of high quality, scientific social science research, execute the overall ISR communications strategy and provide communications support to ISR projects, scientists and staff. This positions reports to the ISR Director of Communications. This position will also provide some administrative support to the ISR Director’s Office.
The recommended salary range for the full-time staff position is from $37,000 to $44,000 annually, to be determined by the selected candidates education and experience. The job includes the University of Michigan staff benefits package.
Questions: If you have questions about this position email: Catherine Allen-West (email@example.com)
The mission of the Institute for Social Research (ISR), the premier university-based social science research institute in the world, includes the development, conduct, and dissemination of ground-breaking social science research, as well as the training of future generations of social scientists. ISR research and training is conducted through the efforts of more than 300 faculty and 500 regular staff within five distinct research centers. Each of the Institute’s five research centers has unique communications needs and strategies.
Communications and Outreach:
- Create content for, post, and manage ISR social media accounts
- Create and update editorial calendar for ISR publications (newsletters and promotional emails)
- Input content for ISR newsletters and promotional emails via MailChimp
- Edit and update content on ISR website via WordPress
- Launch and write content for new ISR blog
- Promote ISR events, faculty participation at conferences, projects, and research via social media, email and web
- Work with ISR Communications Director to draft and execute strategic communications plans for ISR events and projects
- Assist with special event planning and outreach
- Maintain audience and contact lists for ISR projects, research, and events
Tracking and Reporting:
- Use various media and social monitoring tools to track mentions of ISR projects and 300+ faculty
- Report on communications campaign success using qualitative and quantitative data
- Research and track ISR faculty participation at conferences
- Monitor news and current events in order to suggest media pitches
- Identify opportunities for collaboration between and within ISR centers as well as with outside groups (i.e. professional organizations and other U-M departments)
Video and Graphic Design:
- Organize media assets (i.e. images, video and audio) in Google Drive
- Select and edit images for social media posts and web articles
- Create deliverables for events and event promotion (i.e. flyers, postcards or programs)
- Create/update presentations for ISR Communications Director
- Schedule meetings for and take notes during Communications meetings
- Support ISR Directors Office as required
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Marketing or social science
- One to two years of experience in communications, marketing or social media position
- Experience with social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, Canva, WordPress, and Google Suite of products
- Experience with graphic design and photo editing
- Familiar with AP style
- Experience producing and editing videos
- Experience working in an academic institution or setting
The Institute for Social Research at the University of Michigan seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the university, and to ground our research in varied disciplines, perspectives, and ways of knowing and learning.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.