The Department of Family Medicine has a need for a Research Assistant with a medical background, (MA or Social Worker) to join our study team conducting research with a population of individuals diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. The Research Assistant will work out of the Chelsea Health Center, under the supervision of the PI and in conjunction with other study team members. The Research Assistant will directly report to the Primary Investigator and will work with the Research Coordinator to ensure all study requirements are being fulfilled.
- Provide consultation and education to people with Type 2 Diabetes, complete nutritional assessments, develop, implement and document dietary information for patients
- Apply and remove Continuous Glucose Monitors and analyze and interpret the data obtained.
- Assess the individual’s specific diabetes self-management goals and develop care plan
- Provide education and behavior intervention materials directed at helping the individual achieve identified self-management goals within the confines of the study protocol
- Evaluate the individual’s attainment of identified self-management goals
- Properly document all education encounters
- Maintain a good working knowledge of all assigned protocols and reporting requirements
- High School Diploma or GED
- Graduation from a Medical Assistant program or an equivalent combination of education and 3-4 years of experince.
- Experince in panel management including provider registry data and exception reports.
- Must have medical background
- Must have experience with patient/ customer interaction
- Must have interest in nutrition or diabetes
- Must be available Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, must be flexible and willing to work occasional evenings and weekends
- Experience teaching a low carbohydrate diet
- Experience working with Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM)
- Experience working within a research context and an ability to establish care plan using research protocols
- Ability to learn and teach large amount of information quickly
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.