How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The University of Michigan is one of the world’s most powerful engines for scholarly research, service, and impact. Sustaining and supporting the University’s robust research enterprise is vital for maximizing innovation and economic development. As a service and resource for innovative investigators interested in commercialization of research, the Office of Technology Transfer is a unit of the Office of Research that plays a central role in helping to ensure that society realizes the benefits of the research conducted on campus.
U-M Tech Transfer enhances research discoveries to encourage licensing and broad deployment with existing businesses and newly-formed U-M startups. U-M Tech Transfer has earned a reputation for performance among the top 10 of all universities through providing responsive, professional service to our inventors and industry partners. U-M Tech Transfer is seeking a highly responsible, self-motivated, detail-oriented Agreement Compliance Specialist to join their team.
The Agreement Compliance Specialist will support the commercialization of University of Michigan technologies through the management and implementation of programs that ensure that the Office of Technology Transfer (OTT) is properly monitoring Licensee compliance and diligence. This position will report to the Manager of Business Process Optimization.
License Maintenance: Every Licensee must remain compliant by meeting the diligence terms outlined in the License Agreement, including providing timely payments and reports as required. The Agreement Compliance Specialist will monitor reports and payments from Licensees to ensure the Licensee is in compliance with the terms of the agreement. This includes developing and maintaining positive working relationships with Licensees, soliciting net sales and progress reports, and determining if the reports satisfy the requirements of the License Agreement in collaboration with the OTT licensing team. The Agreement Compliance Specialist must have a thorough understanding of U-M’s Patent Policy and a variety of OTT policies and practices, and be able to coordinate financial data entry with the OTT finance team.
The Agreement Compliance Specialist may draft amendments to License Agreements as required in response to changing market conditions in order to maintain productive relationships with the Licensees in conjunction with the members of the OTT Licensing team. This position will coordinate and manage the process to notify Licensees of missed diligence and financial obligations, and to gain compliance by Licensees.
Additional duties will include but are not limited to:
- Serve as the communication point person for all matters related to license maintenance and compliance, in coordination with the Manager of Business Process Optimization.
- Ensure that the OTT database (Sophia by Wellspring) is updated with appropriate information related to agreement maintenance, including agreement term entry and status monitoring functionality.
- Coordinate agreement template maintenance and organization.
- Cross-training of other areas of the Business Process Optimization team, including sponsorship compliance, patent administration and data integrity.
- Other duties as assigned
- Requires Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A strong relationship builder and a good team player.
- Professional and mature, with an excellent attitude and results orientation.
- Detailed and highly organized with initiative, drive and superior time management skills.
- Ability to work independently, set priorities, manage multiple tasks, and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated commitment to outstanding customer service.
- Considerable experience organizing and processing complex information
- Experience with complex databases, Excel and workflow-based tools
- Excitement to work in a fast-paced, yet fun, and collegial environment
- 2 or more years of experience in license or contract compliance, monitoring, and/or negotiation
- Ability to review and interpret various types of contracts and agreement terms
- Familiarity with U-M policies and procedures
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.