How to Apply
Applications should include a CV, cover letter of intent, and complete contact information for at least three references.
At the University of Michigan (UM), the Exercise and Sport Science Initiative (ESSI: www.essi.umich.edu) in partnership with UM Athletics seeks a highly motivated postdoctoral research fellow to focus on sport and performance data analytics development and integration.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Collaborating with UM/ESSI researchers and UM Athletics personnel (e.g., Senior Associate Athletic Director & Student Athlete Health & Wellness Officer, coaches, athletic trainers, and data analysts) to research, develop, and apply predictive modelling techniques in the context of assessing and optimizing team and individual student-athlete performance and reducing injury.
- Collaboratively assisting with the evaluation of new research and technologies to identify trends in the areas of biomechanics, performance training, nutrition, sleep, strength training, vision, virtual reality, and wearable technologies.
- Please note that this position will not entail developing a formal curriculum and teaching regularly scheduled classes, but the candidate may be asked to occasionally host workshops or present at selected events, and to coordinate with the ESSI Managing Director and UM Athletics to organize undergraduate independent studies and extra curricular opportunities linked to selected team and individual student-athlete performance and injury data.
- A PhD or similar degree (ScD) in a computational field such as: computer science, machine learning, data science, mathematics, quantitative social sciences, quantitative sport science, or analytics
- Strong knowledge of machine learning and data mining
- Experience with spatiotemporal analysis—preferable, but not required
- Experience with sport wearable sensor data (e.g., Catapult)—preferable, but not required
- Understanding of, and experience with, typical athletic and performance data structures, plus knowledge of current sports performance research, statistics, and strategy
- Experience with, or strong interest in, formulating, writing, and managing research grants/contracts
- Ability to effectively communicate complex ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Strong interpersonal and written/verbal communication skills and experience—the candidate will play an integral role in and serve as a leading member of a collaborative team, including individuals from ESSI, UM Office of Research, Athletics, and various schools and colleges on campus
The Postdoctoral Research Fellow will be appointed in 1 year increments. Funding for a 1-year postdoctoral fellow position is immediately available, with the potential to extend the appointment for a second year, depending on performance in the first year and funding. The decision to extend for a second year will be made six months into the first year of funding.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Questions about the position can be directed to:
Lisa Rabaut, Managing Director, ESSI, University of Michigan
Applications will be reviewed as received, and it is anticipated that the short-listed finalists for the position will be interviewed by November 2018.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.