How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The University of Michigan, School of Nursing is looking for a Community Outreach Specialist who will be working as part of the Center for Sexuality and Health Disparities (aka SexLab) on a research project aimed at boosting HIV counseling, testing, and referral (CTR) for young gay men and trans-identified people. The role of the Specialist will primarily consist of recruiting participants at LGBTQ+ venues (nightclubs, bars, community events) and work with social media platforms (Facebook, Snap Chat, Instagram). The Specialist can work up to15 hours a week, over 3-4 shifts. Applicants must be familiar with the LGBTQ+ culture and people and be comfortable striking up conversations with strangers. Other duties may include partaking in logistical tasks and research coordination duties. Other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from high school; Some college education required.
- Applicants must have a flexible schedule (work nights and weekends);
- Must be comfortable or have experience working with the LGBTQ+ community;
- Be detail-oriented, maintain professionalism in non-work environments, and have exceptional organizational skills;
- Due to the job duties requiring temporary employees to access nightclubs and/or bars for participant recruitment, the person in this position must be 21 years of age or older;
- Communicate effectively with participants to discuss project and follow-ups;
- Develop close working relationships with internal team members and external agencies/venues;
- Record and track participant data and demographic information;
- Experience conducting target outreach via social media preferred;
- Experience working with diverse groups and some knowledge of HIV prevention and/or intervention preferred
Hourly rate: $10-14
Hours per week: 10-15
Work Locations: Detroit Metro Area, Ann Arbor, Ypsilanti, and Flint
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.