How to Apply
To be considered for this position, candidates must include a cover letter specifying their interest in and qualifications for this position. The cover letter should be the first page of your resume and uploaded as one document.
The following is a job posting for an Administrative Assistant Intermediate or Administrative Assistant Senior.
The Youth Policy Lab is seeking an Administrative Specialist/Assistant Senior to provide professional and administrative support to the day-to-day operations of the Youth Policy Lab (the Lab). The Lab is a collaborative endeavor at the U-M, co-located and administered through the Ford School of Public Policy and the Institute for Social Research (ISR). The Lab conducts applied research in the areas of education, health care, juvenile justice and workforce development to improve opportunities for young people and families in Michigan and beyond. Leveraging the collective expertise of faculty across the U-M, we help organizations use individual-level client data to ascertain needs, identify promising strategies, refine service-delivery models and conduct rigorous outcome evaluations. For more information and to learn about current projects, visit: http://youthpolicylab.umich.edu.
Provide overall administrative support for Lab directors and support as needed to other Lab staff. This may include completing and submitting personnel transaction forms, scheduling meetings, reserving conference rooms and conference lines, coordinating equipment and room setup, preparing meeting agendas and minutes, assisting with creating slide presentations, composing correspondence, ordering office and project supplies, duplication of materials, coordinating all travel and logistic arrangements for the Lab directors, assisting with coordinating the Lab’s annual performance evaluation process, maintaining tracking spreadsheets and databases, participating in the development of unit policies and procedures, and disseminating information to internal and external partners. Provide financial administration support including preparing journal entries, requisitions for purchase orders, respondent payment requests, etc. Work closely with other administrative support personnel at both ISR and Ford School to assist in maintaining administrative support consistency throughout the Lab.
Communications and Outreach Activities
Work closely with Lab leadership to implement communications and outreach activities. Manage communications, marketing, and publications plans. Coordinate with University communications staff and Lab leadership to maximize brand visibility for the Lab. Coordinate with University staff to maintain and grow social media presence. Coordinate with University students and staff to design, create, & print Lab-branded collateral (business cards, brochures, handouts, policy documents, etc). Liaise with web designer to ensure timely implementation of changes. Edit and produce professional documents, including reviewing documents for grammar, consistency, and internal coherence.
Assist with all phases of contingent and regular staff recruitment including completing posting and hiring documents, creating uniform orientation process for staff across Ford School & ISR, providing and scheduling orientation and on-boarding processes, maintaining alternative schedule documentation, completing all appointment close-out activities, completing MCard, Ford School & ISR Key Card Access forms, technology and computer set-up, change of address forms, etc., and other administrative support duties as assigned.
- Experience Intermediate: 2-4 years of administrative support in a professional work setting.
- Experience Senior: 4+ years of administrative support in a professional work setting.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education, administrative, and communications experience required.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills, including grammar skills.
- Able to treat confidential and sensitive information in a discreet fashion.
- Able to set priorities, handle multiple assignments and deadlines, and to display excellent judgment while operating in a flexible and professional manner.
- Extensive knowledge and skill using MS Office software: Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Able to problem solve and work independently, with significant level of responsibility, with appropriate level of supervision.
- Able to lead and coordinate complex tasks. Ability to work well in a team environment and with a diverse population.
- Experience in preparing communications, documents, materials, and forms for distribution to others. Examples of work products will be requested.
- Knowledge of University policies, procedures & regulations.
- Knowledge and skill using industry-standard desktop publishing software such as Adobe or Corel Suites. Experience using InDesign or other graphic design software preferred.
- Experience with creation of infographics, and data visualization highly preferred.
- Understanding of digital environment including social media content development and management preferred.
Based on candidate qualifications, the position may be underfilled.
The Institute for Social Research at the University of Michigan seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the university, and to ground our research in varied disciplines, perspectives, and ways of knowing and learning.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.