This temporary position provides hands-on personal care to patients in their homes as planned, directed, and supervised by an RN, and is responsible for making observations and reports regarding each patient's personal care needs, including the physical, psychosocial and environmental needs of the patient and their family.
- Provides hands-on personal care as planned and supervised by the RN and/or case manager.
- Performs simple procedures as an extension of therapy or nursing services in the home according to the established Plan of Care and according to all department policies and state and federal regulations.
- Assists in ambulation, transfers, or exercises in the home according to the established Plan of Care and according to all department policies and state and federal regulations.
- Provides medication reminders for medications that are ordinarily self-administered in the home according to the established Plan of Care and according to all department policies and state and federal regulations.
- Observes and monitors patient condition and reports changes to supervisor.
- Assists patient with, or administer routine personal care including feeding, bathing, toileting, hair care, skin care, and oral hygiene.
- Provides range of motion exercises; apply braces and orthotic devices as scheduled according to plan of care.
- Assists patient with bedpan or commode as needed, empties and records all patient output and drainage devices.
- Assists with feeding patients, meal preparation, and recording intake of patient nourishment.
- Performs and documents observations and interventions in the home according to the established Plan of Care and according to all department policies and deadlines, as well as state and federal regulations.
- Performs clean intermittent urinary catheterization and maintains suprapubic catheter.
- Obtains vital signs, temperature, height, weight, oxygen saturation and pain scores as indicated in plan of care and documents accordingly.
- Administers enemas, insertion of cleansing rectal suppositories, and performs digital stimulation as ordered by a physician and per the plan of care established by the RN.Assists patient with nasal cannula or mask if requiring oxygen; maintains oxygen safety.
- Denotes special competency validation by Nursing Supervisor required prior to assignment.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Completion of one of the following:
- 75 hour training program and/or competency evaluation
- One year education from an accredited nursing program and competency evaluation
- Six months direct care experience in either home health or another health care facility as a home health aide, or nursing assistant and competency evaluation
- Successful completion of the Competency Checklist
- Ability to read, write and carry out directions
- Compassionate and mature attitude toward the care of the sick
- Availability of reliable transportation for business use on a daily basis
The home health aide will be required to carry out assignments in patient’s homes, health care institutions and HCS offices. The employee will perform patient care duties at the clients’ homes during the work period. These duties include bathing activities, assisting and/or performing prescribed exercises, assisting with ambulating and transferring clients from one place to another, ADL assist, etc. The duties require the ability to lift up to 50 lbs on a regular basis and the ability to maintain stable balance while performing job duties, especially during tasks associated with patient ambulation and transfers. The duties also require the ability to reach, bend, push, pull, climb stairs, drive, and tolerate prolonged or considerable walking distances and/or standing for a great length of time. Must be able to walk on uneven surfaces in all weather conditions considering varying work site locations. Visual acuity and hearing is required to perform clinical tasks and skills. Employee may drive personal or University- owned vehicle to various work site locations on a regular basis including in-town and highway driving in good and inclement weather. Most comply with all UMHS Occupational Health requirements including annual Flu immunization.
One (1) or more years of experience in a home care setting
Days and Nights
Ann Arbor and Livonia Area
This job posting is for a University of Michigan Temporary position. Temporary employment may be full or part time, but in either case is limited in duration. Please review the full posting description for details.
Under Michigan law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of transfer or employment for this position.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.