How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
NOTE: The final position title will depend on the selected candidate's background and experience.
This entry-level fundraiser position acts as a staff professional to help plan and implement fund-raising programs. Responsible, as assigned, for prospect identification and solicitation, sponsorship proposal support and development, mobilization of outside support, and coordination of internal support activities. In addition, the position is designed to provide high-level program support to the University of Michigan-Dearborn institutional advancement (IA) team. The Associate Development Officer will work closely with the Executive Director of Business and Foundation Engagement (B&FE) and the entire team to facilitate their efforts in a variety of ways focusing primarily on providing information resources including database maintenance and reporting; coordinating access to UM-Ann Arbor development services; compiling research and briefing materials; facilitating follow-up with donors and scheduling meetings; managing a portfolio of donors; developing campus program sponsorship strategies; and other special projects as assigned. Additionally, this role will be important in supporting the newly integrated B&FE model by aiding with execution of the streamlined efforts of both departments.
The ideal candidate will need to have an interest in professional growth in a role that will require contributing to the framing of early-stage programming, be a self-starter, an analytical thinker and demonstrate flexibility as a strong team-player.
Business and Foundation Engagement Support
- Identify and create fundraising strategies for campus sponsorship programs
- Manage a portfolio of up to 50 corporate and foundation donors
- Collaborate with foundation and corporate engagement staff in building strategic relationships with internal & external partners
- Implement and manage intake process to respond to inquiries from the campus community and our external constituency
- Contribute to the implementation of streamlined operations of business and foundation engagement policies and protocol
- Assist with the execution of campus and off campus visits, events, and committee meetings, including preparation of invitation lists and coordinating details with other staff
- Support corporate prospect portfolio management
- Provide assistance in coordinating work with UM Ann Arbor staff and senior leadership on the Ann Arbor and Dearborn campuses
- Support research needs for corporate funding proposals
- Create content to assist marketing and communications staff with media and promotions
- Assist with developing, recording and formalizing systems and processes for B&FE
- Support the planning and execution of campus and off campus visits, events, and committee meetings by extracting potential guests from database, preparing invitation lists and coordinating details with other staff
- Conduct basic research on business and foundation prospects and prepare briefing materials for events and meetings for university leadership as needed
- Assist in drafting summaries, updating contact information, and coordinating donor giving
- Assist and troubleshoot corporate and foundation gift issues with gift processor to monitor gifts and identify areas where special attention is needed
- Prepare and pull standard and custom reports
- Process information for input into the donor database
- General administrative support duties may include: maintain and coordinate calendars, schedule group meetings; maintain prospect tracking reports; input information into the donor database; coordinating travel; and other routine tasks to keep the effort organized, including filing, running reports, and drafting letters.
- Provide direct high-level back-up support to B&FE executive director by coordinating the effective scheduling of complex meetings, conference calls, exercising discretion and judgment as to priorities; obtain, prepare and organize background materials, agendas, and minutes for various meetings as requested; maintain appropriate follow-up
- Represent IA in the community and campus events
- Manage special projects as assigned by senior leadership
- Collaborate with interns and temporary B&FE staff to maximize opportunities to share workload
- Provide front desk back-up support as needed
- Perform other duties and activities as assigned
- A bachelor’s degree or the equivalent education and experience
- A demonstrated understanding of and commitment to business and foundation engagement, and development as a career path
- Two to five years of administrative experience
- One to three years of fundraising experience
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Considerable knowledge of Word, Excel, and Power Point required
- ?Ability to effectively communicate and work with all levels of constituents, while operating in a fast-paced, customer service environment
- Ability to work both independently and as a part of a team
- Ability to set priorities, handle multiple assignments and deadlines, and to display mature judgment while operating in a flexible and professional manner
- Discretion when dealing with highly sensitive information and a focus on customer service are essential
- Event, fundraising and/or sales and marketing experience
- Experience in working with complex CRM databases
- Knowledge in corporate and foundation engagement
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.