How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
This position will support the Director in the planning and execution of Detroit Center sponsored events and activities. Events Coordinator will manage events from original concept through completion. Develop detailed work plans, schedules, project estimates, resource plans, and status reports. Conducts event planning meetings and is responsible for program data tracking and analysis. Reviews project deliverables. Analyzes, compares, and evaluates various courses of action, and makes decisions in consultation with Director. This role will also manage elements of social media related to Detroit Center events and activities.
Event Management: 40%
- Plan and organize workshops, conferences, panel discussions, and special events
- Identify, recruit, track, and book speakers, panelists, performers, and participants for UMDC activities
- Create and maintain databases related to event invitees and attendees by collecting, inputting and analyzing data
- Oversee timelines and communications with all members of the project team
- Track expenses and manage budget related to each event
- Assist in creating proposals to seek additional program funding
- Work with caterers and other vendors
Marketing and Communications: 20%
- Create invitations and promotional materials for Center programs and activities
- Secure promotional items for programs and events
Community Relations: 25%
- Assess the vitality of potential community partnerships
- Develop an engagement plan to strengthen existing relationships and cultivate new collaborative efforts with local community-based organizations
Administrative Operations & Support 15%
- Support day to day management of Center
- Assist in setting up and breaking down of meeting rooms
- Experience in higher education, especially with undergraduates at a four-year research institution
- Some College education or higher in social sciences, education or other relevant field
- Demonstrated experience in gathering information, analyzing data and problem-solving, both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects simultaneously and successfully meet deadlines
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to self-initiate, work creatively, independently and collaboratively
- Experience in preparing communications, documents, materials, and forms for distribution to others. Examples of work products will be requested
The University of Michigan Detroit Center is located inside Orchestra Place in Midtown Detroit.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.