- Robotic Technician/Surgical Technologist First Assistant works in coordination with the surgeon to ensure the patient receives quality care during a surgical procedure. Duties include:
- Positioning of the patient
- Draping the patient
- Providing visulization of the operative field
- Utilizing approved techniques to assist in hemostasis
- Assist in instrument exchange and maintenance of the sterile field
- Assist OR team in the assembly and disassembly of the sterile field
Under the direction of the operating surgeon, the Surgical Technologist First Assistant (STFA) functions and participates in the surgical procedure as the first or second assistant role in robotic procedures. The STFA will determine specific equipment needs per procedure, assist in moving, positioning, and draping the patient, visualization of the operating field, provide hemostasis, and aids in providing exposure (retraction). The role functions as a resource within the ORs primarily supporting robotic Urology, Gynecology, General Surgery, Thoracic, Otolaryngology, and pediatric Surgery procedures. Other duties include supporting the training of resident surgeons in robotic bedside assistance. Will participate in the orientation and training of robotic team members as requested.
This individual will facilitate surgical robotic understanding, so that the surgical team (surgeons, nurse and OR technicians) will be increasingly enabled to focus more on surgical application and technique and less on the robot in the room. Candidate must have an advanced understanding of using surgical robotics as well as the proficiency in the robotic terminology, use of robotics in clinical applications, facilitating the transition to the use of next generation operating room technology as new devices arrive or upgrades occur, providing on-site and after hour's techinical support for the OR staff regarding laparoscopic cases and trouble-shooting technical problems with laparoscopic equipment.
Other aspects of the job include inspecting and evaluating equipment for laparoscopic and endoscopic procedures to ensure proper setup and functioning, creating presets for laparoscopic surgeons and OR support staff by pre-programming video routes or facilitating OR table configurations and providing formal inservice training for OR staff regarding use, maintenance and basic trouble-shooting of laparoscopic and endoscopic equipment.
- Education: Graduate of an accredited program in Surgical Technology and/or satisfactory completion of an equivalent Surgical Technology training program, i.e., military service training.
- Certification: Certified Surgical Technologist with additional specialized education and training and Certified as a Certified Surgical First Assistant.
- Strong and positive communication and relationship building skills. Flexible hours.
- Minimum of 1 year robotic experience.
- Desired Qualifications:
- Bachelors degree in healthcare related field, education or science/technical field.
Shift/Days: Days/Evenings, 10 hour shift; possible weekend and on call
Note: This is a 40hr per week position, with flexible hours as needed.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.