How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
- Collaborate with CHS Finance Business Administrator in planning, managing, monitoring, and maintaining budgets. Maintains oversight of department budget activities including collection and review of program budgets for completion and submission to CHS Finance Administrator.
- Complete assigned SOA monthly reconciliation (eRec); review staff assigned eRec chart fields, including P-Card reconciliation for completion.
- Reconcile gross pay register and time reports for non-academic staff.
- Review travel and hosting pre-authorizations for completeness; process reimbursements and payments for faculty and staff for approved out of pocket expenses
- Identify, process and track journal entries, purchase orders, service unit billings, service and supply orders and non-PO vouchers according to CHS policies and procedures in collaboration with CHS Finance Business Administrator
- Approve planned budget purchases less than $2,500
- Collaborate with CHS Grant and Contracts Business Administrator on department MOUs and contract (non-affiliation contracts); mange payment coordination (related to PeoplePays, or Non-POs) and similarly with CHS HR Business Manager in payment involving additional pays.
Human Resources Responsibilities :
- Collaborate with CHS Human Resources Business Administrator in support and coordination of recruitment and hiring activities for LEO, GSI, GSRA, Research Assistant, Lab Assistant and work-study and other positions and appointments as appropriate. Serves on department search committees.
- Initiate appointment changes in collaboration with CHS HR Business Administrator
- Obtain RDAs for adjunct lectures appointments and guest lecturers for a current UM employee
- Coordinate lecturer observations as requested
- Maintain course assignments for the academic year and department personnel records (HR Files)
- Coordinate evaluation activity meeting timeline as directed by CHS HR Business Administrator
- Supervise and evaluate support staff performance and take action in all necessary outcomes (PIP, reclassifications, equity, etc.) in collaboration with CHS HR Business Administrator
- Approve support staff time
- Build Search Committees with department leadership input
- Manage department employee on-boarding and off-boarding activities
- Lead or coordinate staff team meetings
General Administrative Responsibilities:
- Provide overall support to the Director, Associate Director of Clinical Fieldwork and Associate Director for Capstone Projects and Residency. Provide overall administrative support to research and practice areas.
- Perform high-level administrative duties including matters of a highly sensitive and confidential nature.
- Responsible for establishing and managing the highest standards of customer service and professionalism in the department.
- Foster team environment in all interactions with faculty, staff, students and campus.
- Serve on department leadership committees
- Lead staff in department mission and vision.
- Oversee development of semester course schedules and initial communications with instructors (faculty and lecturers) as to potential appointments
- Manage department Business Continuity Plan.
- Initiate and create departmental policies and procedures as needed
- Schedules curriculum and ACOTE accreditation meetings, and anticipate needs as appropriate
- Provide support for alumni and development activities, such as, updating databases, overseeing annual Monitor and update department communication vehicles including, electronic eNews, newsletter and event flyers as they relate to alumni relations and communications
- Provide assistance with arrangements for director to meet with potential donors.
- Create and maintain research and practice filing system, monitor and maintain accurate research records
- Draft report components of the accreditation reports and annual reports required by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE)
- Provide administrative support to the Capital Equipment Committee and Technology Support and other committees as assigned.
- Provide administrative support for the Research Proposal Review committee and OTD Student Travel Fund related to faculty scholarship and student scholarship.
- Serve as contact person in the absence of the directors
- Serve as back up to departmental Secretary Senior and/or other administrative assistants as directed.
Physical Resource Responsibilities:
- Provide facility support including management of capital equipment, department inventory control, renovation projects, regular maintenance of dedicated departmental space and equipment. Schedule regular maintenance of equipment.
- Provide administrative support to programs capital equipment and technology committees, maintain capital equipment and software inventory and collaborate with CHS Business and Finance Manager incompletion of the UM Flint annual capital equipment report; administrative support for subsequent years plan
- Maintain key log; request new keys as needed; oversee new telephone and/or service requests
- The above is provided as a tool in assisting staff relative to job responsibilities. It is not meant to be so prescriptive as to prevent additional responsibilities relevant to this role.
- Bachelor degree or equivalent combination of experience and significant progress toward degree
- 3+ years of progressively responsible administrative experience; preferable management role in academic setting
- 2 years experience working with financial reports and in human resources/employment activities
- Experience in direct supervision of staff and demonstrated skills to motivate and engage staff
- Excellent communication skills with strong interpersonal skills and ability to successfully work with all levels of staff and faculty
- Strong analytical ability (to gather and summarize information, solve administrative problems, and prioritize assignments)
- Proficiency in Microsoft products (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.)
- Detail-oriented and highly organized, ability to function effectively in an active, engaging environment
- Critical thinking skills to solve problems to find win-win solutions
- Demonstrated adaptability to changing priorities and deadlines and effectively collaborate with leadership
In order to be considered for this position, candidates must attach a resume that includes work and education history. If you wish to submit a cover letter, you must include it as page one of your resume document.
- Experience supporting students and faculty (navigating the university system to support student success and retention)
- Proficiency with student/enrollment data reports
- Knowledge of academic standards and program qualifications
This position is a high functioning manager providing leadership and oversight of the department activities, reporting up to Director, Dean and in collaboration with CHS Business Administrators. This position will work in a fast moving, multi-faceted, evolving academic environment. Decisions made in this position will have significant impact on the unit.
This position will mentor staff and participate in department leadership committees and take initiative to lead staff in support of students’ success and faculty needs.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.