How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Duties include but are not limited to (any other duties as assigned):
- Provide administrative support for assigned faculty and their graduate students.
- As a faculty delegate, pro-actively coordinate complex business travel arrangements (including international travel). Provide comprehensive travel details including all arrangements, registrations, confirmations, directions, and event schedule.
- Working independently managing assigned group as well as working as a team member with other administrative assistants and administrative staff within the department to meet the faculty and student needs.
- Annually work with faculty to assist in the preparation of a promotion case book.
- Responsible for all purchasing activities for assigned faculty group including purchase orders, request for payment, Marketsite, and p-card.
- Responsible for all timekeeping activities for assigned group (Timekeeper). This includes ensuring all timesheets are completed on-time, supervisors have electronically approved, and batch uploads are handled properly from our internal timesheet database. Also responsible for timekeeper duties in M-pathways such as prior period adjustments and time entry for missing direct appointed timesheets.
- Edit and format reports, surveys, and CV's. This may include compilation of research proposals, correspondence, publications, and other documents for assigned researchers.
- Provide cross coverage within the department for other administrative assistants as needed.
- Distribute mail and packages
- Plan and coordinate events for assigned group that may include teleconferences, room reservations, catering, registrations and parking permits.
- Order necessary supplies
- Accurately manage all aspects of Pcard, including tracking of receipts and invoices, as well as reconciliation of Pcard expenditures monthly using department defined methods.
- Prepare budgets for conferences, seminars, programs and special events. Gather costs estimates for projects as needed.
High School diploma and minimum of two to four years of progressively responsible administrative experience. Excellent computer skills including considerable knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite of software. Strong interpersonal, organizational and problem-solving skills, ability to multi-task effectively within both established and changing deadlines.
Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, M-pathways, calendaring and e-mail systems, as well as experience using search engines to find publications. Ability to work well independently and in collaboration with faculty and staff as a team member. Positive attitude and customer service orientation and ability to maintain confidentiality. Outstanding verbal and written communication skills. Reasonable knowledge of University of Michigan policies and procedures. Strong interpersonal and communication skills are necessary. Ability to manage stress effectively is helpful.
Michigan Engineering’s vision is to be the world’s preeminent college of engineering serving the common good. This global outlook, leadership focus and service commitment permeate our culture. Our vision is supported by a mission and values that, together, provide the framework for all that we do. Information about our vision, mission and values can be found at: http://strategicvision.engin.umich.edu/ .
The University of Michigan has a storied legacy of commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI). The Michigan Engineering component of the University’s comprehensive, five-year, DEI strategic plan—along with updates on our programs and resources dedicated to ensuring a welcoming, fair and inclusive environment—can be found at: http://www.engin.umich.edu/college/about/diversity.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.