The Department of Pathology, Chemistry Laboratory has an opening for a Senior Clinical Technologist this Senior Clinical Technologist will handle all IT/QA for the Chemistry laboratory. They will assist in the development, training and management of IT functions within the laboratory as well as the development and performance of the laboratory QA program. They will assist in the management of regulatory compliance in the laboratory and assist the laboratory supervisors, laboratory managers and/or directors in a variety of other designated duties.
- Act as technical supervisor on weekends and during absence of laboratory supervisor.
- Assist in instrument maintenance and calibration procedures.
- Assist with training and orientation of new personnel, medical students, and pathology residents.
- Assist in the development and performance of special testing techniques and protocols.
- Assist with administration of proficiency testing.
- Assist with training and competency evaluation of employees within the laboratory and those staff performing point of care testing.
- Update procedure manuals and training materials to reflect current practice.
- Serve on laboratory and inter-departmental committees as requested.
- Monitor stocks of laboratory reagents and supplies and reorder as necessary.
- Process and analyze specimens and otherwise fulfill all duties and responsibilities of a medical technologist.
A baccalaureate degree in Medical Technology or in a chemical, physical, or biological science is required. A baccalaureate degree in a chemical, physical, or biological science with eligibility for medical technology certification by a professional society and four years of progressively responsible clinical laboratory experience is acceptable.
The applicant must have:
- The ability to independently organize and prioritize work.
- Knowledge of laboratory and hospital regulatory agencies and requirements.
- Computer experience (LIS as well as PC).
- Knowledge of and experience in laboratory quality assurance programs.
- The ability to work under pressures of time and work volume without sacrificing accuracy.
- The ability to communicate effectively with other medical personnel.
- The ability to demonstrate and explain technical procedures and policies.
- The ability to recognize problems and take appropriate action.
- Skills basic to the practice of medical laboratory technology.
Certification by an accepted professional agency and two years of progressively responsible clinical laboratory experience are preferred.
This full time, 40 hour Senior Clinical Technologist position will be on the night shift, the schedule will be 4-10 hour days a week and will include rotating weekends and holidays.
This position requires the candidate to work with infectious disease and/or hazardous materials. It will also include exposure to noise from laboratory equipment.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.