Responsible for the purchasing and inventory functions with UMH Pharmacy Services, twice daily ordering of medications from wholesaler and manufacture, processing requests from clinics and research areas, discussing and resolving non-formulary requests
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain a professional image by dressing in attire that conveys a professional image and consistently maintaining personal self-control and professional decorum.
- Complete inventory management tasks necessary to ensure product is available and ready to be selected for fulfillment of orders throughout daily operations.
- Procure inventory at the best price using established procurement pathways in accordance with UMHHC and HCS policy, procedure and practice.
- Contribute to patient safety by ensuring product is in date, of validated pedigree, and stocked in accordance with high alert, look-alike, sound-alike, and hazardous substance handling procedures and/or practices.
- Process all inventory returns in accordance with federal, state, and health system rules and regulations.
- Communicate all product shortages; work effectively and collaboratively to resolve product shortages with safe and efficacious substitutions / alternatives.
- Responsible for contributing to the evaluation of contracts and contract pricing, identifying potential for cost containment and cost savings, and financial metrics for data reporting.
- Collaborate and communicate with coworkers effectively.
- Maximize work efficiency through the use of computers and other technologies as evidenced by proficient skill in accessing and entering accurate information necessary to perform job functions. Maintain & contribute to accurate, updated, and comprehensive inventory software files.
- Maintain confidentiality of patient and proprietary information by observing legal and ethical guidelines for safeguarding the confidentiality of patient and proprietary information.
- Maintain competency in all job functions
- Supports the department’s commitment to continuous improvement activities and principles through positive and respectful contribution in all problem-solving and change processes within the Department of Pharmacy Services.
- Participate in the preparation of periodic financial, regulatory, activity & quality assurance reports.
- Participates in department committees and work teams as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Possible Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in night, weekend, and holiday on call program. Adhere to alternating shift, day, and weekend rotation work assignments.
- Complete all product receiving functions and financial reconciliation for inventory procured in an accurate and timely manner.
- High School Diploma or General Education Diploma (GED)
- Current valid license as a pharmacy technician by the State of Michigan Board of Pharmacy, or eligibility to become licensed (refer to License and Certification section below).
- Certified Pharmacy Technician
- Experience in the health care field and/or equivalent experience as a pharmacy technician or medical assistant
- Computer / keyboard data entry skills and experience
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Purchasing and/or inventory management experience
- Ability to multitask
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to work closely as a team with other pharmacy employees
Licensure & Certification
The State of Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) requires all Pharmacy Technicians to be licensed. Newly hired pharmacy technicians must obtain a valid Michigan Pharmacy Technician License on or before their hire date. This can include a Full Michigan Pharmacy Technician License or a Temporary Michigan Pharmacy Technician License. If a technician obtains a Temporary Michigan Pharmacy Technician License, they must obtain a Full Michigan Pharmacy Technician License within 1 year of hire date or before the Temporary Michigan Pharmacy Technician License expires, whichever is sooner, in order to maintain employment. The Michigan Medicine Department of Pharmacy Services can provide coaching and additional information to support Technicians to become certified and licensed. Please visit the Michigan LARA website for more information about Pharmacy Technician licensing: http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-72600_72603_27529_27548-340669--,00.html
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.