How to Apply
Interested candidates should email resume to Lia Corrales at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The College of LSA and the Department of Astronomy is looking to hire a qualified candidate for the temporary position of Research Associate. The origin and means of dust growth in the interstellar medium (ISM) is highly uncertain. X-ray dust scattering halos are packed with information that arises from the 3D distribution of dust, composition, and grain size. The primary research goal is to finalize a dust scattering halo extraction technique for Chandra X-ray Observatory archival images. The researcher will then apply the data analysis pipeline to a wide range of objects. They will examine the broad-band spectral energy distribution to measure the upper limit to the grain size distribution for the ISM along different Galactic sight lines.
- Develop a data analysis pipeline for Chandra imaging and PSF modeling using a combination of bash scripting, CIAO, and Python tools
- Examine systematic differences for scattering halos extracted from the three Chandra imaging modes: HRC, ACIS, and TE-mode HETG
- Apply the data analysis pipeline
- Writing a scientific journal article on the above topics
- Bachelor's degree in Astronomy or relevant STEM field
- Familiarity with Linux or Unix based shell scripting
- Familiarity with Python
- Strong file organization and documentation skills
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future. The University of Michigan is committed to foster learning, creativity and productivity, and to support the vigorous exchange of ideas and information, not only in the classroom but in the workplace by:
- Creating a work environment in which people treat each other with respect and dignity, regardless of roles, responsibilities or differences.
- Providing support, direction and resources enabling us to accomplish the responsibilities of our jobs and to reach the goals that are set for professional and personal growth.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.