How to Apply
Note: A cover letter explaining your specific interests in this position and outlining your unique skills and experience is required for consideration for this position; it should be attached as the first page of your resume.
UM-Dearborn is among the top-tier comprehensive public universities in the Midwest with more than 9,000 students. We have outstanding faculty and staff as well as beautiful facilities and grounds. We are proud of our 50+ year history: UM-Dearborn was first created as the Dearborn Center of the University of Michigan in 1959. Ford Motor Company gave the University of Michigan approximately 200 acres, including beautiful grounds along the Rouge River in Dearborn, as well as $6 million to build the campus and the first four buildings. The campus was initially established with an emphasis on cooperative education. In 1971, it became a four-year undergraduate school; with some master’s level graduate programs. Since then, the campus has experienced steady growth in both enrollment and in the range of programming to include undergraduate, graduate and doctoral-level programs.
The UM-Dearborn Department of Police and Public Safety invites applications for a Communications Officer position. The UM-Dearborn Department of Police and Public Safety department is a professional, full-service law enforcement and security agency, with responsibility for providing law enforcement and security services to all areas of our campus community. Under general supervision of the Police Sergeant, this position will provide superior dispatch service, representing the University to faculty, students, staff, and the public. The Communications Officer primary duty is to receive, evaluate and prioritize calls for emergency and non-emergency assistance, and dispatch personnel as appropriate.
Currently this classification will be considered nonexempt in compliance with the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
Note: Shift will be selected by seniority.
- The communication officer is a vital team member who will incorporate positive organizational scholarship (POS) while providing excellent customer service. Will always maintain a professional attitude and demeanor.
- Utilize good judgment when receiving, evaluating and prioritizing requests for service and emergency assistance.
- Liaise with state and local law enforcement partners, fire, EMS, security, Emergency Management, and other emergency agencies to assure the safety of students, faculty, staff and the general public.
- Dispatch police and public safety personnel to University facilities and properties.
- Communicate calmly, clearly and professionally in all radio transmissions.
- Coordinate information between the public and emergency personnel via computer-based dispatch systems as well as radios, telephones, and other technology-based communication devices.
- Operate communications equipment, including but not limited to: multiple phone systems, multiple radios, computer applications, CCTV, emergency message systems and LEIN.
- Monitor several complex police department radio frequencies.
- Monitor building alarms, security systems, access control systems, and security cameras with feeds into the dispatch center.
- Follow set protocols for conducting multi-step procedures, which involves receiving and documenting information, handling activated alarms, dispatching officers in the field, and making appropriate notifications during and after emergency situations.
- Engage in social media platforms to support safety-related operations.
- This position has inherent Campus Security Authority (CSA) responsibilities, and requires the Communications officer to assist the UMD PD with meeting the Department of Education’s Clery Act compliance requirements.
- Participate and apply training activites.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- 2 or more years of law enforcement dispatch center experience, and associate’s degree in a related field is required, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated ability to use good judgment and decision-making, and ability to react quickly, efficiently, and calmly, and execute an effective course of action in emergency and routine situations.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, and a track record of establishing and maintaining cooperative work relationships.
- Ability to deal with confidential information appropriately.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing. Adept at following oral and written instructions.
- Effectively and professionally communicate with compassion and elicit useful information from upset and irate customers.
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Ability to type accurately at a speed necessary to type reports and correspondence.
- Demonstrated ability to work various schedules with an excellent attendance and punctuality record.
- Ability to operate a variety of communications equipment including digital radios, VOIP telephones, computer-based dispatch equipment, and campus emergency message systems.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel. Must be able to demonstrate advanced keyboarding skills, and possess a basic knowledge of computers.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and good driving record.
- Must pass drug screening and background check.
- Bachelor degree in a related field.
- Advanced knowledge of social media platforms.
- Knowledge of police, fire, and safety procedures.
Duties/Essential Job Functions
Duties are performed in an office environment. Candidates must have hearing, speaking, and visual acuity to communicate with the general public. Physical exertion may be required to bend, twist, reach, kneel and sit for prolonged periods of time in the work space. Also, subject to 24-hour on call for emergencies; great mental ability and problem solving skills will be used daily. Candidates considered for the position must be able work flexible schedules as we are a 24-hour, 7-day per week operation. The successful candidate will work any of the following shifts: Day (8am-4pm), Afternoon (4pm-midnight), or Midnight shift (midnight-8am). Shifts will vary and include work on weekends, holidays and mandatory overtime assignments.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.