Basic Function and Responsibilities:
Participate and assist in daily operations, including: assist with coordination of referral; computer data entry in multiple systems; participation in quality assurance, and regulatory compliance activities as needed; and demonstration of competence for working with all patient age groups. Must be able to work independently and make independent decisions. Ability to develop and maintain good working relationships. Ability to manage, set priorities, and operate with minimal direct supervision and a demonstrated ability to work under pressure. Requires attention to detail and possesses excellent customer service and phone skills. Must be able to operate all standard office equipment: fax, copier, scanner, telephone and printer. Ability to work in a high volume environment while maintaining high quality standards. Schedule may have variable start times.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Accurately and completely disseminate all necessary referral information to vendors in order to facilitate the transition to the next level of care for the patient
- Communicate effectively with all stakeholders inclusive of clinic staff, insurance carriers and/or their designated intermediaries, and vendors to ensure that transition information is current, accurate, and complete.
- Provide concise, applicable, and timely responses to requests for information from vendors using a systematic, efficient, and thorough procedure for retrieving information
- Create and maintain accurate, up-to-date department records, and other documentation as specified by policy and procedure.
- Contribute to the achievement of Ambulatory Care goals through effective participation in work groups.
- Maximize work efficiency through the use of computers and other technologies as evidenced by proficient skill in accessing and disseminating referral and patient care information
- Maintain confidentiality of patient and proprietary information by observing legal and ethical guidelines for safeguarding the confidentiality of patient and proprietary information.
- Provide callers with assistance and redirect calls as needed to appropriate personnel.
- Appropriately distribute any correspondence received via FAX, email, phone calls, mail or voicemail as required.
- Confirm admissions to post-acute care with vendors and provide appropriate documentation
- Initiate EMR documentation for co-signature after verification of home care provider(s).
- Initiate and follow through on appropriate referrals and document in EMR for co-signature by Care Manager
- Assess patients’ ability to comprehend content and initiate follow up with patient representative as necessary
- Respond to patient questions and assess need for referral to RN Case Manager.
- Identify need for and arrange interpreter services as necessary.
Other Related Duties:
- Complies with all University of Michigan, Michigan Medicine and departmental standards and expectations.
- Supports the department’s commitment to continuous improvement activities and principles through positive and respectful contribution in all problem-solving and change processes
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Supervision Received From: Nursing Director/Supervisor
- High school diploma or general education equivalency
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Analytical and problem-solving skills to assess urgency and complexity of request so prioritization of workflow can be achieved effectively
- Experience in home care referral processing within the last 2 years
- Work experience within the last 2 years in a home health, DME, hospice or infusion provider
- Experience with completing and sending referrals thru Allscripts
- Proficiency in EPIC
- An Associate degree in social sciences or other health related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience in the health care environment with a demonstrated knowledge of regulations, standards, and guidelines applicable to home care services
- Proficiency in medical terminology
- Proficiency in use of computer technology and experience with Microsoft Office software applications.
Hours: Variable-dependent on department need
Shift: Days with possible weekend hours
Location: 2500 Green Rd. (may change with expansion of program)
The employee will be able to perform the assigned duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodations: ability to work in a sedentary position for long periods of time, ability to communicate/ exchange information, fine motor coordination/dexterity necessary for keyboarding or typing, and may require reaching, bending, twisting, stooping, moving about, lifting of up to 10 pounds, etc., with or without the use of assistive/adaptive devices.
Occupational Hazard Information:
Staff members may have routine exposure to all chemical inventory, inclusive of hazardous materials, housed at all work sites for MM, including but not limited to: the office, hospital, clinics, vehicles and warehouse. Chemical inventory reference materials are available to all staff in the form of hard copy and on-line Material Safety Data Sheets.
Staff may carry out assignments in, hospitals, clinics and HCS offices. Staff may drive personal or University owned vehicle and walk on uneven surfaces to these various work site locations in all weather conditions on a regular basis.
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work and/or difficulty that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibility of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.