How to Apply
Candidates visit the online application to submit:
- cover letter, including the names of three references
- a concise philosophy statement of research
- a concise statement of teaching experience
- three writing examples
- Writing examples may include published works, media works, syllabi or detailed schedules for courses and workshops, case examples, and opinion pieces. Scholarly articles are preferred for tenure-track faculty positions.
- letters of recommendation may be requested at a later date
The School of Social Work at the University of Michigan has a faculty opening for the 2019-2020 academic year in the area of interpersonal practice. Interpersonal practice is the direct practice option in the School’s MSW curriculum. Interpersonal practice includes services delivered to individuals, families, and groups and usually also includes a setting or population focus.
The School of Social Work is committed to a University-wide initiative that aims to advance diversity, equity, and to create an inclusive climate. The School seeks applicants with a desire to build and advance our commitments to pro-justice and anti-racism and to disrupt systems of privilege and oppression in order to advance justice. We seek a diverse pool of outstanding applicants who will contribute to the Schools diversity, equity and inclusion agenda. Faculty members of the University of Michigan School of Social Work strive to be leaders in scholarship, education, and service for socially just communities in Michigan, the United States, and across the world. We respond to social challenges in this highly politicized and technologized world by supporting scholarly and academic excellence, equity in education, health and social services, and opportunities for the growth and development of individuals, families, communities, and society. Our contributions to social work scholarship build on values that emphasize the strengths and the interaction between the individual and the larger social and physical environment. Our faculty members draw on scientific theories that support a fuller understanding of social challenges and then work to develop translational solutions to these challenges. We seek new faculty members whose interests and commitments fit this philosophy of the School. For more information about the University’s diversity initiative please visit: ssw.umich.edu/about/...age/diversity.
This is an open-rank, tenure-track faculty position with priority given to candidates whose work focuses on any area of direct practice in social work.
- A Ph.D. in social work or a related field.
- An MSW or similar degree and a minimum of two years of practice experience.
- For the assistant professor rank, evidence of a strong scholarly trajectory.
- For the associate and full professor ranks, demonstrated achievement in research, and in teaching at both the MSW and doctoral levels.
- Practice experience and substantive expertise in social work practice methods.
- A defined research agenda with a strong record of publications in peer reviewed journals.
- Teaching experience at the MSW level.
- Expertise in addictions or integrated health.
- Experience with proposal development or a history of grant funding in intervention research.
This position is posted as Assistant Professor/Associate Professor/Professor. The rank of the selected candidate will depend upon candidate's qualifications.
Review of applications will begin immediately and considered on a rolling basis. Early applications are encouraged, but all applications must be received by November 30, 2018.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.