Clicking "Apply Now" opens the link in a new window.
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The hiring process will measure the following competencies:
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
Candidates who are selected to advance in the process will be contacted through email by Spark Hire (video interview vendor) and are required to submit a video presentation answering pre-screening questions, at no cost to the applicant.
Review of applications will begin May 29, 2018 and the position will remain open until a successful candidate is hired.
This position requires the candidate to successfully pass a thorough background investigation, drug screening, psychological evaluation, and physical examination. This is a uniformed position required to maintain appearance and grooming standards by following the DPSS uniformed personnel dress code.
The Division of Public Safety and Security and the Communications department are currently looking to hire full time Communications Officers. We are a 24 hour, 7 days a week operation which includes weekends, holidays and mandatory overtime assignments. Candidates considered for the positions will need to be flexible in work schedules.
Communications Officers perform the following tasks:
- Receive, evaluate and prioritize calls for emergency and non-emergency assistance
- Dispatch public safety and security personnel to all University owned and leased facilities and properties
- Coordinate first responder information via computer aided dispatch (CAD) system as well as radio, mobile data terminal, telephone, pager, and other communication devices
- Monitor several complex public safety radio frequencies
- Monitor building alarms and security systems including closed circuit security monitors and electronic alarms
- Maintain liaison with police, fire and other emergency agencies to assure the safety of the University community
- Engage in social media platforms to support safety related operations
- Other duties as assigned
- Associates degree or the equivalent combination of education and expreience in a related field is necessary
- Proven capability to react with compassion in an efficient and calm manner
- Adopt an effective course of action in emergency and routine situations
- Position requires continuous mental, visual, and auditory acuity; for example operating a variety of equipment including multiple channel radio console , telephone, recording equipment and data communication terminals
- Effectively and professionally communicate with, and elicit useful information from, upset and irate citizens
- Ability to accurately type, write and use advanced keyboarding functions
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- A track record of establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships
- Demonstrated ability to make sound decisions and use good judgment
- Ability to deal with confidential information appropriately
- Bachelor's degree in criminal justice or related field
- Advanced knowledge of social media platforms
- Knowledge of police, fire and safety procedures
- Prior experience in a safety and security environment
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the Police Officers Association of Michigan union, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.