The University of Michigan Shared Services Center (U-M SSC) is a customer service organization focused on providing user-friendly and cost effective administrative services to the university community. The SSC offers key financial and human resource transaction services to customers through consistent processes and enabling technology.
Reporting to the Accounts Receivable Collections Supervisor, each Payment Processing Associate serves as a critical member of the Accounts Receivable Collections Team. Each Associate is responsible for identifying and applying received by the SSC and completing all associated tasks. This position specifically will be tasked with payment processing for the Accounts Receivable group and other incoming sources of funds to the University of Michigan. The Payment Processing Associates work as part of a collaborative team and are an integral part of the Account Receivable operation.
- Identity and process checks and wires received
- Complete and confirm cash and check deposits
- Apply credit card payments made through the SSC online payment portal
- Write and process journal entries as needed
- Knowledge of and adhere to University of Michigan policies and procedures relating to cash application and related controls
- Other duties as assigned
- High School diploma
- 1-3 years professional office experience
- Basic knowledge of Accounting processes and principles
- Proven ability to work efficiently with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability and interest to work collaboratively as part of a team
- Strong computer skills specifically with Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal
- Proven ability to deliver awesome customer service
Organizational Core Competencies and Skills:
- Advancing the Mission - Demonstrates ability to operate effectively in a manner consistent with the University of Michigan mission and culture.
- Building Relationships/Interpersonal Skills - Values organizational diversity, treats others with respect, and promotes cooperation.
- Creative Problem Solving/Strategic Thinking - Develops and creates ideas, processes, and approaches focused on the future.
- Communication - Demonstrates excellent communication skills to those at all levels throughout the University.
- Development of Self and Others - Seeks opportunities to learn and develop themselves and others by setting developmental goals and seeking performance feedback.
- Flexibility/Adaptability to Change - Responds positively to and champions change to others.
- Leadership/Achievement Orientation - Holds self-accountable for meeting established objectives and successfully accomplishing desired outcomes.
- Quality Service - Strives to meet the expectations of internal and external customers, firmly establishing a service first culture.
- Depository and/or Payment process experience
- Journal entry writing and processing experience
- Familiarity with internal control and compliance policies as they apply to payment processing
- Experience in a Shared Services organization or in higher education
- Lean experience or familiarity with other process improvement methodologies
- Broad knowledge of MPathways/PeopleSoft (or similar Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system)
- Familiarity with administrative processes, procedures, and systems at the University of Michigan
The University of Michigan, with an operating budget of more than $7 billion, is a leader in higher education. U-M SSC provides administrative support related to financial and human resources in the following areas: Accounts Payable, Travel and Expense, General Accounting, Accounts Receivable, Benefits, HR Data Management, Time and Leave, and Employment Process. To learn more about U-M SSC, please visit our website: www.SSC.UMICH.edu.
We offer our employees an extensive total compensation package including competitive pay, a two-for-one retirement contribution, a variety of health insurance options, and a generous vacation plan. In addition, there are seven paid holidays and four paid season days.
The Shared Services Center seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to sustain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.