The Revenue Cycle Department, Unit D is looking for a Senior Billing Clerk. This is a new section within Unit D which will handle the Auto and Workers Comp claims, credits, edits, denials, follow up and account maintenance for all of University of Michigan Professional Billing Operations.
- Review and suggest changes as necessary to current policies and procedures as they relate to Workers Compensation and No Fault Claims
- Primary duties include claim submission, error correction and insurance collections.
- Initiate and process claims and other forms within prescribed guidelines; screening for accuracy, completeness and conformity to required standard.
- Investigate discrepancies; take appropriate corrective action when necessary ensuring compliance.
- Contact registration when outpatient insurance information on claims is denied.
- Contact registration to verify and update patient demographic and financial information as needed.
- Apply payments to accounts from undistributed or correct payment posting issues.
- Investigate claim denials and reimbursement issues, pursuing appropriate corrective actions including status of accounts, write-offs, refunds, transfers, and billing third party carriers within established guidelines.
- Monitor, interpret and advise management regarding changes to third party reimbursement activities and trends.
- Contact appropriate third party representatives for information and assistance with denied or incorrectly paid claims.
- Review accounts with credit balance(s) and resolve appropriately, via correction or refund/take back request.
- Represent the unit with limited authority regarding general administrative and operational matters on an as need basis.
- High school diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least two years of progressively complex billing & third party payer experience.
- Proficiency in use of computers and software, including Microsoft Office products.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written skills.
- Demonstrates ability to handle multiple items simultaneously and produce high-quality work in a timely, accurate and efficient manner.
- Demonstrates experience in professionally handling and protecting items confidential in nature.
- Demonstrates ability to work in a team environment, and to build trust in the working relationships with other staff and faculty.
- Demonstrates ability to learn and work independently.
- Knowledge of University of Michigan and UMHS policies and procedures. Ability to identify, research and resolve complex billing and payer issues. Prior experience with Medicare claim edits and denials.
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.