The University of Michigan-Dearborn is seeking a Facility & Events Assistant. The Facility & Events Assistant position is intended to provide individuals with an extension of their experience/studies in facility operation and event management. This positions will be responsible for supervising both the facility and staff during assigned shifts at UM-Dearborn Ice Arena and Fieldhouse, as well as any off-campus athletic facility used by UM-Dearborn. This experience will prepare the individual for a position as a facility manager, event manager, or operational support staff.
- Perform daily operations and pre-planned event assignments to ensure the desired results of each event, including, but not limited to pre and post-game events, private events, and any related event at the Fieldhouse, Wellness Center or Ice Arena.
- Serves as game administrator to ensure a successful event for the organization or client, as requested.
- Assists Facility & Events Manager with maintaining master event calendar.
- Assist with ice installation/removal at UM-Dearborn Ice Arena.
- Assist with ice maintenance through Zamboni utilization, hand edging, machine edging, and compressor monitoring.
- Assist with the review and enforcement of facilities rules and regulations.
- Execute proper opening/closing procedures at UM-Dearborn Fieldhouse, Wellness Center and Ice Arena.
- Assist with supervision of custodial and grounds staff.
- Assist with hiring/supervision of student operations staff to assist with custodial and maintenance efforts.
- Provide support for all University of Michigan-Dearborn Varsity and/or Junior Varsity events through game day opening/closing procedures, on ice support staff, or assisting with custodial supervision and event management.
- Help coordinate repairs, renovations, and improvements with facilities department, including equipment, tools and storage.
- Other duties as assigned by the Facility & Events. Manager.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to effectively communicate with many varied audiences: Coaches, staff, student-athletes, customers, vendors, fans, etc.
- Ability to quickly and successfully diffuse, manage and resolve conflict situations.
- Ability to promote a team atmosphere with all employees.
- Ability to enhance innovation and new ideas with all team members.
- Successful experience working in a team environment.
- Must be able to establish and maintain positive working relationships with all team members and customers.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to effectively prioritize and manage changing demands.
- Bachelor's Degree Required.
- Experience in Facility operations, grounds, or related experience.
- Experience driving and maintaining a Zamboni.
- Proficient with general computer applications.
- Understanding OSEH Safety Programs.
- Understanding of NAIA rules and regulations.
- Extended work nights, weekends and some holidays as applicable.
- Experience working within a collegiate athletic department.
- Experience working with the public dealing with a wide range of customers.
- Compensation: $10-14/hr, 20+ hrs/wk (Wage rate based on experience/qualifications).
- This is a temporary position with no medical insurance or retirement benefits.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.