How to Apply
A cover letter and resume are required for consideration for this position. Please include the cover letter as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should specifically address your interest in this position as well as outline particular skills and experience directly related to this position. Describe your ability to work in a fast-paced, research intensive, administrative environment.
The MiCores/iLabs system is an effective and efficient core facility management system for multiple research core facilities in across the Medical School, Life Sciences Institute (LSI) and the College of Literature Sciences & the Arts (LS&A). With a single on-line portal, it streamlines scheduling of equipment and services, billing, provides consistent financial controls and improves reporting and centralization of services. Through the Biosciences Initiative, an expansion of the number of core facilities in the MiCores system is underway, and a project manager is needed to assist new cores in their deployment within the system.
Under direction of the Director of Strategic Projects in the University of Michigan Office of Research (UMOR), the project manager will work closely with existing MiCores users, stakeholders from multiple schools/colleges, and potential new MiCores users to expand implementation of a unified, electronic research environment for principal investigators and researchers campus-wide.
- Works with existing MiCores facilities to understand how the system is applied and used. Act as primary liaison with iLabs implementation team and Core facilities in review of current business systems. Collaborate with core directors and core managers to create diagrams of workflows prior to integration into MiCores.
- Seeks and engages research recharge operated core facilities on campus not using MiCores for suitability of system use. Determines stakeholder requirements and develops detailed work plans, schedules, project estimates, resource plans, status reports, progress tracking, and projections. Organize meetings with stakeholders and integration teams. Manages project scope and costs. Maintains effective and transparent documentation.
- Collaborates with business process owners and provides project scoping direction and set up. Ensures a common understanding by setting expectations in accordance with the project plan in order to align the stakeholders and team members.
- Maintains consistencies between existing and new uses of MiCores systems for ease of use by U-M investigators.
- Act as a liaison between Agilent and U-M for services applications, contracts and payments
- Develop communications with UM IT professionals in individual schools & colleges for troubleshooting issues and implementation of MiCores.
- Act as a liaison between IT and cores with Application Programming Interface (API) integrations with MiCores as needed.
- Effectively prepare written communications and presentations for a variety of audiences, including senior leadership. Coordinates and facilitates communication planning and deliverables for projects and initiatives.
- Builds mutual trust and encourages respect and cooperation among team members; facilitates consensus building and working across differing work styles.
- Delivers excellent customer service.
- Bachelor’s degree with 2-4 years of project management experience in a work setting.
- Candidate must have excellent teamwork and communication skills, with the ability to receive and convey information clearly and concisely for various mediums.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders at all levels.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to set priorities, handle multiple assignments and deadlines and display excellent judgment while operating in a flexible and professional manner. Ability to pay attention to detail and follow through.
- Demonstrated problem solving, analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Experience with data management software, including Microsoft Project, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Visio.
- Knowledge of University financial systems, including service unit billing and University recharge operations is preferred.
This position is a two-year term limited appointment with the potential extension based on program funding and performance. At the end of the stated term, the appointment may be terminated and will not be eligible for Reduction in Force benefits.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.