How to Apply
To be considered, a cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter must be the leading page of your resume and should:
- Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position and
- Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Starting salaries will vary depending upon the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
This position will be filled at the Lead salary range of $68,642 - $97,900 as the primary goal. The requirements listed below reflect the Lead level expectation. However, applicants with lesser experience are encouraged to apply and may be considered if the primary goal is not met. Lesser-experienced candidates will be reviewed at a Senior level salary range of $63,077 - $90,200.
This position primarily supports the power and cooling allocations within the Data Center spaces. The position also supports a number of core network locations that also containing video and voice capabilities. This includes design and implementation of infrastructure changes and insures that best practice maintenance cycles occur in a non-disruptive fashion per Information and Technology Services (ITS) guidelines.
The Data Center Technical team manages three (3) primary and secondary locations with a current total power capacity over 5 megawatts. The largest occupants of the sites are research-focused. Rack capacities range from 4 kW to 24kW per rack. Designs range from Tier I to Tier II with varying approaches to UPS systems. There are multiple cooling approaches based on rack densities. All critical Data Center Infrastructure is monitored 7x24x365 with on-call Data Center technicians available for critical break fix.
We have a number of exciting critical infrastructure projects currently in progress focused supporting high performance computing capabilities at the university and the build out of the next generation network at Michigan.
To learn more about ITS, visit our website: www.its.umich.edu/
Has functional responsibility for staff and functions within defined areas. May lead multiple, concurrent projects and analyzes and evaluates data center systems to provide creativity and strategy for the development of business process and systems solutions for multiple data center areas. Leads the day-to-day operations and projects for data center technical staff: prioritizing/triaging of incidents, requests and projects taking into consideration skills required and estimated time to complete work; ensuring processes, procedures and standards are followed; and monitoring work quality and performance metrics. Work assignments include: work with multiple content areas (power, cooling, wiring, infrastructure, etc.), multiple platforms, multiple integrations, and cross-functional assignments. Leads service enhancement projects, including taking projects from request through implementation, release and/or end of life. Monitors and tracks resource consumption (power, fuel, cooling, space, network port & fiber availability etc.) for reporting and future planning. Responsible for keeping best practice maintenance contracts and service agreements in place on all infrastructures ensuring scheduled maintenance work is communicated per ITS standards during ITS maintenance windows. Plans, conducts, manages and supervises assignments generally involving multiple larger and complex projects, including assigning work, resources and time estimates. Builds customer relationships through active listening and frequent communication with customers and by resolving incidents and requests, following up with customers on incidents escalated to other support groups or vendors. Collaborates with stakeholders, customers, data stewards, users, team members and other technical staff to design, implement and continuously improve services and deliverables to meet business needs in a timely manner. Ability to participate with management, engineers, vendors and other technical staff relative to infrastructure renovations and new data centers. Work with Network Engineering to ensure networks and designs meet engineering specifications to maintain best practice policies, security process and procedures are maintained within the data center spaces. Provides input to ad hoc presentations and information about the multiple ITS data centers.
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate the following organizational competencies:
Building Relationship / Interpersonal Skills:
- Respects diversity; demonstrates respect for the opinion of others; values each person's contribution to the team.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain positive and cooperative relationships, inside and outside of work group, interacting in a friendly, open, honest and accepting manner.
- Maintains agreed upon levels of confidentiality.
- Demonstrated ability to use formal/informal networks to accomplish tasks and objectives, developing and maintaining smooth, cooperative working elationships.
- Demonstrated ability to address and manage conflict and offer constructive criticism and feedback in a positive manner.
Creative Problem Solving / Strategic Thinking:
- Demonstrated ability to effectively solve complex problems, using analysis, creative thinking and input from others to improve processes, solve complex problems and develop effective strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly, correctly, knowledgeably via email, letters and in person to teams and customers.
- Uses appropriate methods of communication (face-to-face, etc.) to achieve desired results.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate about complex topics effectively to groups, using visual aids as needed, varying style to fit the audience.
- Actively communicates with and persuades others with differing opinions and differing levels of understanding, using effective strategies, arguments and materials.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with internal and external customers in a manner that consistently meets the organization’s expectations for exemplary customer service.
- Demonstrated unwavering focus on aligning all activities to produce maximum value for the customer.
- Demonstrated stewardship in understanding and helping others to understand the impact of recommendations to both short-term and long-term needs of the organization.
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, electrical, mechanical engineering and/or the equivalent combination of education, certification and experience.
- A minimum of six (6) years of demonstrated experience in a related role requiring confidentiality, timeliness, customer service, prioritization, troubleshooting, independent problem solving and working independently to successfully conduct data center best practice process analysis and design.
- A minimum of six (5) years of experience designing, building and maintaining robust and resilient data center infrastructure systems and operations.
- Proven ability to lead project teams to meet customer expectations, collaborate effectively in a highly-functioning and productive team, research technology, write recommendation proposals and purchase justifications.
- Demonstrated skills and knowledge in infrastructure systems and analysis, design, system testing, troubleshooting, data center power management, cooling principles and design criteria, cable layout and management, physical space configurations, facilities and environmental monitoring.
- Demonstrated skills in gathering, translating, prioritizing and documenting system requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize data analysis and process modeling tools and techniques, strong interpersonal, written and oral and presentation communication skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge proficiency utilizing current data center technology and applications (e.g. provisioning tools, asset management tracking, power management tool sets, wiring standards, OSHA guidelines, cooling technologies, space management, ATS systems, UPS systems, secondary power generations systems and standard software such as Visio, Excel, word processing, spreadsheet and collaboration applications).
- Understanding and proficiencies in the following Operational toolsets KVM/IP, Console session software and access rights tools, power monitoring at the rack level with tools such as StruXureWare and Foreseer, site management tools such as Tridium or Siemens Building Management systems, Provisioning tools such as Rackwise, Camera monitoring systems such as Pelco DS Control Point, Key Card Systems, client/server environments, network topologies (Ethernet, etc.) and protocols (TCP/IP, etc.).
- Training or Certified Data Center Professional coursework
- Basic knowledge and understanding of TIA-942 standards for Data Centers
- Training or some networking certification course work.
- Basic level ITIL certification
This position may work with and/or support systems that maintain or process sensitive institutional data as defined by university policy. Successful candidates must comply with federal, state and local law and/or university policies or agreements that require the university to implement specific privacy and security safeguards including, but not limited to: ITAR, EAR, HIPAA and FISMA. Responsible for protecting data and information from unauthorized release or from loss, alteration or unauthorized deletion; and, following applicable regulations and instructions regarding access to computerized files, release of data, etc. as stated in a computer access agreement.
Candidate must regularly move throughout the office and building environment, must frequently operate a computer to complete work and tasks and may be required to move equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.
Work Schedules and Locations
- Will require on-call availability and working during non-business hours and on pre-scheduled weekends.
- Punctual, regular, and consistent attendance is required.
- May require travel to various location on and off university campus.
- Candidate must regularly move throughout the office and building environment, must frequently operate a computer to complete work and tasks and may be required to move equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The University of Michigan Information and Technology Services seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan Benefits Office is committed to offering a high-quality benefits package to support faculty, staff and their families. Learn more about our 2:1 retirement matching, healthcare plans with nationwide coverage including prescription drug coverage, three dental plans, a vision plan, flexible spending account, well-being programs, long-term disability, automatic life insurance, general legal services, three early childhood centers, time away from work and work-life programs to promote balance. Learn more at hr.umich.edu/benefits-wellness.
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 2 U.S. public university, 28th overall in The Wall Street Journal and Times Higher Education announced 09/05/2018.
- The University of Michigan maintained its ranking as the top U.S. public university in the QS World University Rankings for 2018-19, and ranked 20th among all institutions on the list, which was released 06/13/2018.
- The University of Michigan maintains No. 15 in Times Higher Education World University Rankings released 05/30/2018.
- The University of Michigan continues to be recognized nationally in the U.S. News & World Report’s annual rankings of the nation's best graduate schools for 2019. Among the programs ranked each year in America’s Best Graduate Schools — business, education, engineering, law, medicine and nursing — U-M maintained top-20 rankings in all six categories.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.