Michigan Radio, the state’s largest public radio station, is searching for a self-motivated individual to lead the station’s digital team and champion our digital strategy. You’ll captain a small, terrific team of digital producers while working across the award-winning newsroom to ensure our best work reaches and inspires audiences across the state.
- Direct and create meaningful digital news content, with a focus on engaging loyal audiences and showcasing Michigan Radio’s best reporting
- Work with the news, programming and digital teams to improve the presentation and production of signature and exclusive Michigan Radio content
- Set and uphold standards for Michigan Radio’s digital content
- Guide Michigan Radio’s digital team to improve digital proficiency and presentation of online streaming, on-demand audio and multimedia content
- Lead Michigan Radio’s campaign to grow loyal digital audiences via the website, app, streaming audio, social platforms and search platforms
- Identify priorities and opportunities for digital growth and engagement with users and listeners
- Work with the senior management team to identify metrics for success across the institution and build reporting structures and analysis to ensure cross-collaborative focus and growth
- Help implement and refine paid and organic social strategies for news and membership departments
- Work directly with NPR Digital Services to optimize users experience with the central CMS and other tools provided by NPR (including, but not limited to NPR One and smart speaker technology)
- Work with development, promotions and marketing, and corporate support departments to build and grow digital audience
- A passion for creating and delivering high-quality news experiences for local audiences, with demonstrable experience coaching reporters and editors to make their journalism relevant, engaging and easily found by digital users.
- Experience managing a digital desk, social accounts and/or homepage in a competitive news environment. Must be comfortable making editorial decisions alongside other journalists in real-time and ensuring journalism is accurate, respectful and timely.
- The confidence to advocate for best digital practices, along with a positive and collaborative attitude to help coach station employees to create quality content.
- Deep curiosity and excitement for the ways our digital news organization can build engagement and loyalty on platforms like search, social and our own site.
- The ability to triage and delegate the wants and needs of teams across the station and problem-solve solutions in a timely and cost-efficient fashion.
- A willingness to experiment with new ways to showcase digital news content and interact with our fans in social spaces.
- Appreciation for NPR and the mission of public media.
- 5 years experience as a journalist, including working in an online environment
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
- Strong knowledge of AP and NPR style
- Knowledge of Michigan and regional issues and current events
- Knowledge of multimedia software - including Adobe Photoshop and Premiere
- Knowledge of audio editing and news tools - including Audition, ENCO and Newsboss.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.