How to Apply
Available: Applications accepted until October 31, 2018. Applications considered upon receipt.
A complete application requires the following documents:
1. Cover letter
3. Names and contact information for three professional references; indicate professional relationship with each reference.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
For a complete job description, please see: http://www.law.umich.edu/library/about/Documents/jobs/RefLib.pdf
The University of Michigan Law Library seeks a Reference Librarian to join our highly engaged and collaborative team of librarians dedicated to providing excellent and innovative services to law faculty and students. Applicants who have passed a U.S. bar exam are strongly preferred.
The University of Michigan Law School has 82 full-time and 57 part-time faculty, and approximately 1,000 J.D., 40 L.L.M., and 7 S.J.D. students. With over 1 million volumes, the Law Library has one of the world’s premier collections. The Law Library also has one of the world’s most comprehensive collections of foreign, comparative, and international law materials. The University of Michigan is located in Ann Arbor, which is considered among the best places in the United States to live and work.
Under the general direction of the Head of Public Services, the Reference Librarian will have the following reference and research responsibilities:
- Provide reference service in all areas of law for all jurisdictions, as well as in non-law subject areas.
- Participate in the evening and weekend rotation at the reference desk.
- Provide research instruction sessions in classes and individual or group research consultations.
- Collection development in assigned area(s).
- Participate in outreach efforts to law students.
- Create and update research guides.
- Fill in for other reference librarians and provide back-up supervision for unit functions during vacations and other absences, as needed.
- Complete research for law faculty as needed.
- May be assigned other duties
Reference librarians may be assigned to supervise one or more functions in the Public Services unit once they have been fully trained in the above aspects of the position. A more detailed description of Reference Librarian positions and the various functions of the Public Services Unit is available at: http://www.law.umich.edu/library/about/Documents/jobs/RefLib.pdf
- J.D. from ABA accredited law school.
- Master’s degree from an A.L.A. accredited school of information or library science.
- Substantial knowledge of and proficiency with a wide range of legal information sources and research methods.
- A thorough knowledge of legal systems.
- A strong service orientation.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and as part of a team.
- Ability to learn and understand complex Law Library practices and procedures.
- Creativity and adaptability in the face of multiple simultaneous demands.
- Group instruction experience or potential.
- Experience using and familiarity with emerging technologies.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends at the reference desk on a rotating basis.
- Licensed to practice law in one or more U.S. states.
- Some experience performing reference work in an academic law library.
- Ability to work with foreign language materials.
- Strong problem-solving and leadership skills
- Proven ability to work effectively with other decision-makers
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.