How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. If possible, please include a link to your electronic portfolio/dossier as part of your resume.
Help the University of Michigan reimagine the potential of educational technology. Join our team and become a driver of innovation at the world’s great public research university! In pursuit of these goals the Office of Academic Innovation (AI) is seeking a creative and self-driven Software Developer to play a key role in the future of our software development team.
Academic Innovation applies design and development expertise in the creation and iteration of software applications to enable innovative learning practices and personalization at scale across the U-M community and beyond.
The developer selected for this position will advance the cutting-edge of software innovation at the University of Michigan. Their responsibilities will include informing development cycles, leading project teams and developing applications across a range of exciting new projects and technologies. They will focus on the initialization, improvement and iteration needed to advance high-priority software innovations.
You are an intellectually curious, creative problem solver. You lead by listening, by collaborating, and by encouraging. You think impractically before layering in constraints. You challenge yourselves and your collaborators to think about impact and design solutions to identifiable challenges. You care about the usability, functionality and presentation of the applications you design. You have experience creating something new and helping an organization and community realize its potential.
For more information, please visit our website: Academic Innovation.
Note: This is a three year, term-limited appointment with the possibility of renewal.
- Collaborate closely with software developers, user experience designers, faculty and students at the University of Michigan
- Assist the scoping and delivery of dedicated development phases
- Deliver high quality software development solutions in line with MVP requirements and project timelines
- Employ a pragmatic approach by understanding the tradeoffs between a perfect solution and a working solution
- Work closely with the team to solve problems, transfer knowledge, and develop software architecture and designs
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
- At least 3 years of professional software development experience
- Experience working with Python/Ruby and an associated web application framework (e.g.: Flask, Django, Rails)
- Ability to take design specifications and create working HTML5/CSS
- Experience working with relational database platforms (e.g.: MySQL, PostgreSQL, MariaDB, Oracle)
- Hold strong attention to detail and concern for information accuracy
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to work well in a multicultural and collaborative environment
- Experience working in a multi-platform, multi-OS environment in a cross-functional team of developers and designers
- Experience developing and deploying applications at scale
- Experience configuring and deploying applications using Amazon Web Services
- Experience working with containers and container deployment technologies (Jenkins, Docker, Kubernetes, OpenShift, etc..)
- Experience partnering with clients and end users to translate requests and problems into software solutions.
- Experience working as a mentor and technical resource for interns or junior colleagues
NOTE: This is a three-year, term-limited position.
Excellent benefits are available, for details, see http://benefits.umich.edu/
Position receives 24 days of vacation a year, and 15 days of sick leave a year with provisions for extended benefits, as well as opportunities for professional development and travel. TIAA-CREF and Fidelity Investments retirement options available.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
Decision Making Process
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.